LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Foreign characters when right clicking on vi running in run time engine

Solved!
Go to solution

I have two PC's windows XP SP3 that are running LV2010 labview exe files.

The same file runs on other pc's with same OS and no problems. I have  reinstalled

the RTE and even the most recent RTE. No change. Any Ideas? Attached picture example

of foreign text. Only happens with right click text.

foreign characters

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(3,149 Views)

oops nvm

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 12
(3,117 Views)

I'm having a similar issue with the Measurement and Automation palette which displays in German, French, English and (Chinese or Korean or Japanese). Never been able to correct it but I didn't put too much effort since I don't use this palette (I tried to reinstall without success).

Ben64

ScreenShot009.png

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(3,108 Views)

In the Build Options I also selected English ONLY and it still does not correct the problem. 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12
(3,101 Views)

See if anything in this thread helps.

Why does my LabVIEW occasionally display in Chinese?

Message 5 of 12
(3,088 Views)

@RavensFan wrote:

See if anything in this thread helps.

Why does my LabVIEW occasionally display in Chinese?

My original post was along those lines, but I saw that it wasn't Chinese-looking in his picture.  Chinese is usually the one displayed because it is the first non-English language in the LabVIEW language selection.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12
(3,081 Views)

The Unicode bug, which this is similar to - if not the actual cause of the OP issue - is probably the biggest reason Unicode isn't officially supported in LabVIEW.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12
(3,080 Views)

I remember some threads talking about the "first language" in some directory issue.  Even though this case didn't look Chinese, it could have been similar.  It may have even been Chinese in those characters but maybe the PC wasn't able to display the Chinese character set.

The thread I linked also talks about the Unicode font setting in LabVIEW.ini.

Since the linked thread was very long, and had messages pointing to other related threads, it seemed like it would be a good starting point to troubleshoot the problem.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12
(3,073 Views)

@RavensFan wrote:

I remember some threads talking about the "first language" in some directory issue.  Even though this case didn't look Chinese, it could have been similar.  It may have even been Chinese in those characters but maybe the PC wasn't able to display the Chinese character set.

The thread I linked also talks about the Unicode font setting in LabVIEW.ini.

Since the linked thread was very long, and had messages pointing to other related threads, it seemed like it would be a good starting point to troubleshoot the problem.

Oh, I agree - now that I think of it, this could definitely be related.  Boy, I almost know that thread by heart.  I refered to it often as I presented my case to my managers about the pros and cons of going with Unicode support in our applications.  😉

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12
(3,068 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Dave_Brandt

To cut to the chase, sometimes using Unicode did something weird to the menus and persisted even after you turned off Unicode support.  The issue of why it occasionally corrupted the menus was never resolved, but at least, starting with LV 2011 (I think) re-saving an afflicted VI after Unicode support was disabled in the ini reverted the VI to non-Unicode status.

It was related to the issue where once you turned on Unicode support for a control, it set  some flag that couldn't be "unset."

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
Message 10 of 12
(3,065 Views)