LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Font size problems with new version of LabVIEW..

Solved!
Go to solution

LabVIEW 2013, version 13.0 (64bit), 15pt Application Font.

Here we go again.  Load a new version of LabVIEW and either forget to change default fonts or in this case, default font change does not propagate to block diagram default font from (Tools>Options>Environment>Fonts).  Yes, you can use the (Font Drop Down Menu>Font Dialog>set it and select Panel Default) and it will take.

But by now you have loaded your old code made too many changes to reload under your chosen font settings, and the new 15pt font has replaced a lot of your old 14pt fonts to the point that your code function inputs that were sized for 14pt are now misalligned/overlapping and it takes a lot of time to fix it.

Does anyone know how to globally reassign the various fonts within your code without having to manually reset them one at a time?

Thanks,

HLB

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 13
(5,191 Views)

Ok, so you can change the default fonts by whatever means in the new version of LabVIEW and they will globally reassign when you close and re-load your project.

Solution borne by the sword of the problem.

HLB

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 13
(5,185 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author HLB

Yet another reason to copy your labview.ini file and put it with each new installation...

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 3 of 13
(5,170 Views)

Thanks crossrulz.  Sometimes you get so involved in Code and Fix that you forget the basics.

HLB

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 13
(5,156 Views)

I'm having the issue, but my 12 point block diagram text now opens in 20 point size.

I created the app under LabVIEW 2013, and left it alone for a few months, then reopened it in LabVIEW 2013.

I did migrate to a new computer, but both were running Windows 7.

I checked my LabVIEW.ini file, and the block diagram font line is:

BDFont="0" 12

As I read that, the font size should be 12.

Any thoughts?

Jeff

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 13
(4,913 Views)

Hello Jeff,

Does the font selection in your block diagram Text Settings window show the 12 point or the 20 point size when you open a blank vi?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 13
(4,908 Views)

When I open a new blank VI, the block diagram font selection pull-down (menu bar top of screen) reads Application Font 12 Pt.

Jeff

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 13
(4,877 Views)

Mine are set up in the environment with "use default font" not checked.  When I load a previous version of code in to LV2013 SP1 it changed them to the font I have selected in the new version.  This is probably a one time deal converting the old version to the new version.  So if you find old code that has not been loaded and load it to the new version with the fonts set as you like (don't know if you have to uncheck the default font box), it should change them.

HLB

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 13
(4,863 Views)

The VIs I'm looking at were all saved using LabVIEW 2013.

I changed computers, but still running LabVIEW 2013.

When I opened the block diagram, it is showing the labels, text, etc. all at a different font size than they were saved.

I'd like them to open and display as they were saved.

Any other thoughts?

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 13
(4,860 Views)

So, It looks like you loaded code from LV set up as the desired font size to a differen LV set up as the undesired size, both with the same version of LV, and it changed all your fonts to the 2nd machine size.

I just tried that on two computers with equal versions of LV 2013 SP1.  It did not matter how I had the second computer set up as to default font size; it kept the first computer font size.

Now, you do have to restart LV to make it see the change you made in the tools>options>environment settings.

The same thing happens when you save the first computer file as "save for previous version 12.0".  It keeps the original font size no matter what the second computer font size is.

However, when you create the file in an earlier version of LV (2012 SP1 in this case) and  load it on to 2nd computer it changes the font to the 2nd computer font size on the first load.

So, if you can get your original code before it was loaded and saved on the second machine, change the second machine font size to what you want, and load the original code in it, you should get the font size you want.  If you have modified your code with the wrong font size to the point you don't want the original code any more, you might try loading the original code with the correct font size on the second machine, then create another instance of the wrong font size code, and drag and drop the sections of that code that have been modified to the first instance code and only have to change those font sizes.  I don't know of a global way to change font sizes in code.  Anybody else know of that?

HLB

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 13
(4,851 Views)