cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Font size/appearance problem on Windows 7 executable

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

my colleague has a problem with his application on a Windows 7 machine. It is an executable built with LabVIEW 2011 on a XP machine.

Please see the attached screenshots for the appearance of the same EXE on Windows XP and Windows 7 (where the fonts are bigger/resized).

Do you have any ideas how to avoid this? A workaround could be the use of screenshots/bitmaps instead of text, but this is very uncomfortable regarding future changes.

Best regards,

Manu

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 22
(14,318 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author HDRM

Hi Manuel,

this has been asked some times before:

You have to include some more keys in the executable's INI file. I usually use those:

FPFont="Tahoma" 13
BDFont="Tahoma" 13
appFont="Tahoma" 13
dialogFont="Tahoma" 13
systemFont="Tahoma" 13

Best regards!

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
Message 2 of 22
(14,305 Views)

@ GerdW

Thank you, this solves the problem. Didn't find it with the search function...

Best regards

Manu

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 22
(14,283 Views)

Gerd, how do I fix this so that I do not have to copy these keys on every application I compile?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 22
(14,014 Views)

One fix would be to set the font at the top of your front panel to be Tahoma 13 rather than "Application Font" before you create any objects in a new VI.  Then those items will be defined as Tahoma rather than whatever font is associated with "Application Font" based on the Windows settings.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 22
(14,013 Views)

How about selecting all objects on the front panel and setting their font to Tahoma? This seems to work so far, I only had to manually select the cursor legend of a graph and then to select Tahoma, as the font did not get changed for that object for some reason.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 22
(13,627 Views)

@Bryan24 wrote:

Gerd, how do I fix this so that I do not have to copy these keys on every application I compile?

The application builder gives you the opportunity to pass a customized config file to the exe. So you can create one config as template and then use application builder to "copy" those to the exe during the build process.

Norbert

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEO: What exactly is stopping us from doing this?
Expert: Geometry
Marketing Manager: Just ignore it.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 22
(13,622 Views)

So it seems like the issue is with using the system font.  So then why would you ever want to use a system font and why is that the default?

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 22
(13,576 Views)

The three default font types (application, system, dialog) are a lookup for fonts, not specific fonts. LV uses this to make VIs portable between different OSes (e.g. Windows => Linux) since not every OS is working with "true type font" (ttf).

From the LV help:

The Application font is the LabVIEW default font used in the Controls palette, the Functions palette, the context help, and tip strips.

• (Windows 7/Vista)LabVIEW uses Segoe UI by default.
  • (Windows XP)LabVIEW uses the font that Windows uses for filenames in Windows Explorer. The U.S. version of Windows usually uses Tahoma. The size of the font depends on the settings of the video driver because you can set higher resolution video drivers to use Large Fonts or Small Fonts. In order to maintain consistency, use Small Fonts and Windows standard settings.
  • (Mac OS X)LabVIEW uses Lucida Grande by default.
  • (Linux) LabVIEW uses Helvetica by default.

The System font is the LabVIEW default font used for menus.

• (Windows XP)LabVIEW uses the same as the Application font, but the font size may differ.

The Dialog font is the LabVIEW default font used for text in dialog boxes and system controls.

• (Windows XP)LabVIEW uses the same font as the Application font.

hope this helps,

Norbert

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEO: What exactly is stopping us from doing this?
Expert: Geometry
Marketing Manager: Just ignore it.
Message 9 of 22
(13,561 Views)

Hi HDRM

I know you already got the answers but best way to avoid this by using Times new roman font (Or any other which are common in both OSes, i am sure about Times new roman). As this is common to all the OSes go you wont get any problem in near future.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kudos are always welcome if you got solution to some extent.

I need my difficulties because they are necessary to enjoy my success.
--Ranjeet
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 22
(13,547 Views)