LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flashing red border! (She can't hold it much longer, Captain!)

I did a very simple change to some code in my program and when I tried to run it, it got to the case structure where I did my little change and suddenly the border of that case started flashing red and blue.

Obviously this means something is wrong, but what? I'm a newbie and I've never seen this before. How can I pinpoint where my problem is? I put it into debug mode and I don't see where it's getting hung up. My code is obviously okay or I wouldn't be able to even start it.
Amateur programmer for over 10 years!
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 20
(7,677 Views)
Spif,

Aye, cap'n, you've inadvertently created a breakpoint in the case structure, or left one behind when you didn't intend to. You should be able to see a red box around the inner wall of that case structure even when the VI is not running.

Go to your Tools palette, select the Set/Clear Breakpoint tool, and use it to click anywhere in the white background of your case structure, and the breakpoint should be cleared.

--John
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 20
(7,663 Views)
While editing you inadvertently used the Break Point tool and Clicked on your case structure. The program proceeds upto the Case structure and halts because of this break point.

Get out of the run mode into Programming mode. Navigate to the Case Structure and Use the Break point tool to click on red Case structure.

The Breakpoint tool is Circular with Red Interior.
Good Luck!

Mache
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 20
(7,664 Views)
Got it! Who put that breakpoint in there? Can I blame it on the liberal media?? Or was this part of the vast right-wing conspiracy??

I've never used it before, so no wonder I didn't recognize it or know what was happening. It definitely caught my attention!

Thanks!!
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 20
(7,657 Views)
The breakpoint was put there by a little cartoon character named Calvin.
- tbob

Inventor of the WORM Global
Message 5 of 20
(7,646 Views)
This Calvin obviously needs to be transmogrified!
Message 6 of 20
(7,642 Views)
LOL!!! 😄

Aye... a Trekkie for sure...

😄

yes, I guess a breakpoint would be "scarry" the first time you encounter it.
Thing of it as a friendly sentionned being, helping you to debug a large vi in the not so distant future..

Like Piccard's first encounter with "Q"..

😄

And yes, a click in the wrong place sets it. A similar click in the right place removes it..

You've figure it out 😄

LOL!!!
Message 7 of 20
(7,613 Views)
It's just a click to the left...
and a click to the riiiiiight.....

I looked into the "breakpoint" tool and it looks like it's pretty handy. Based on your guys' experience, is it a fairly handy debugging tool? Or do you find the "highlight execution" tool is more useful? Any tips on using the "breakpoint"?
Message 8 of 20
(7,594 Views)

@Spaceman spif wrote:
I looked into the "breakpoint" tool and it looks like it's pretty handy. Based on your guys' experience, is it a fairly handy debugging tool? Or do you find the "highlight execution" tool is more useful? Any tips on using the "breakpoint"?

I mostly use highlighted execution, but it has it's limits..

For instance if you use a test executive like TestStand which calls a LabView vi, you may want to include a breakpoint to look at what is happening at that instance of the code. You can step into the vi, then use the highlighted execution to see all the values, etc.

If you have vi that need to run in "real-time" (transactions that are time-constrained), so you can't have "Highlighted" execution on all the time, you may want to freeze a certain portion and look at that. Breakpoints are very useful for this.

Experiment with it.. Who knows, you may like it as much as the highlighting the execution (which can be too slow at times). 😉

Both are good tools. 😄

JLV
Message 9 of 20
(7,395 Views)
I use both.

I set a breakpoint where I want to start highlight execution so I don't have to watch long loop unfold when not needed.

LabVIEW, C'est LabVIEW

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 20
(7,581 Views)