From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fitting loose Data to a known curve

Hi everybody,

I come up with a curve fitting problem. Unfortunately, It's not a regular curve fitting application where a specific function is fitted to a set of data. More precisely I need the inverse operation because I would like to fit my data with least deviation error to a curve that I have. To put it in other words:
I have a curve that describes a fluid velocity profile over pipe diameter, i.e. velocity as a function of space. In my measurements I have a spectrum of velocities which now need to be adapted to this known velocity curve. That means I don't have a relation between measured velocity and space. Therefore I need to sort my velocity informations in space along the known curve in order to obtain a spacial allocation
of the measured velocities.
I didn't find a VI for such purpose. If somebody knows a solution in my case I would be very pleased!
Many thanks in advance!!
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,340 Views)
May be we need to dig further into this.

What I understand is that you have v = f(x), where f is a known function. Then you have a series of v values and you want to find the corresponding x's.
So the problem is to find the inverse function of f, so that x = g(v). If g cannot be formally established, your problem becomes a root solving problem (zero), and you are looking for the x solution of f(x)-v = 0.
There are a number of vi's in LV to do this : seen in the "Analyze>Mathematics>Zeroes" subpalette...

Hope this helps. Give some feed back here !

CC
Chilly Charly    (aka CC)

E-List Master - Kudos glutton - Press the yellow button on the left...

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,341 Views)
That's a good idea!! I will try on this way!!
Thank you very much for that hint, Chilly Charly!!

8-)
messi
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,325 Views)