LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File permission error; NI-488: DMA hardware error detected

Hello all,

I am going to start off by saying, please do not laugh at my set-up.  I am currently running LabVIEW 7.2 off of windows xp.  This is a pretty old rig, but we use if for long-term studies so it is hard to upgrade.  We use it to study fuel cell data over time (voltage vs. hour), and currently have a few that have been running for over 2000 hours.  All of a sudden we started getting an error 8 code file permission error with a possible reason being NI-488 DMA hardware error.  I assumed that this may have been due to the windows xp indexing feature for faster searching.  The file being studied was placed into the favorites folder (which is indexed) when we were opening it to copy data.  I stopped indexing all folders and I thought that fixed the problem, but after 100 hours the problem persisted again.  When it happens it stops data acquisition and has to be restarted, giving lulls in our data thread.

I have no idea what could be causing this problem, especially after all this time.  If anybody has any insight, it would be greatly appreciated.

Andrew

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,879 Views)

"NI-488: DMA hardware error detected" is an odd error that most of the time has nothing to do with hardware or drivers.

Check if the files your are trying to access are not read-only or in the correct paths.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,872 Views)

Hi Andrew,

please do not laugh at my set-up.  I am currently running LabVIEW 7.2

There was no LabVIEW 7.2 in history. So you don't want us to laugh at you? 😄

All of a sudden we started getting an error 8 code file permission error with a possible reason being NI-488 DMA hardware error.

It's just like that: a possible reason!

There are two reasons given and I would guess it's not the "NI-488…" one, that has hit you!

The file being studied was placed into the favorites folder (which is indexed) when we were opening it to copy data.

So you opened this file (maybe using Excel or similar tools) and wonder about your LV program losing access rights?

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,865 Views)

I don't think that would be the case. It was able to record data for 80 hours before crashing again in the middle of the night.  Also, the time between this error happening again is always different.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,845 Views)

@pinge5252 wrote:

I don't think that would be the case. It was able to record data for 80 hours before crashing again in the middle of the night.  Also, the time between this error happening again is always different.

Thanks

Are you using global/local variables for your filenames/references?
I inherited a software where the references were passed through a local variable which occasionally used a reference that was cleared.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,521 Views)