From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File Dialog express VI alters error chain

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

today I've got a strange error message form the File Dialog express VI (with the name New Folder Dialog😞

Error 1055 occurred at New Folder dialog->Check if directory exists.vi->configure directory path.vi->load FP config from file.vi->Triax program.vi

Possible reason(s):

LabVIEW:  Object reference is invalid.

after some research I found out, this VI isn't the source of the error, it just altered the information received from the error in terminal.

Is this a known issue in Labview 2011? I didn't find anything about it.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(4,510 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author gerh

The way express VIs work is that they generate an actual VI which will be run every time you change the configuration and that VI is saved as part of the calling VI. You can look at the generated VI by right clicking the VI and selecting Open Front Panel, which will ask you if you want to convert. If you do that and look inside the actual VI that it calls, you will see that it makes an unconditional call to a VI which modifies the error chain. I would argue that this call should probably not be made if there the error in was true, so I would call this a bug.

In practice, I would say the best option is either to call the file dialog primitive yourself or to call Merge Errors and put the original error wire on top or wrap the entire express VI in an error case structure.

(4,438 Views)

Hi tst,

indeed NI reccomends not to use express VI's in final code, the File Dialog is an exception to this.

The documentation says:

LabView no longer supports this function on the block diagram. National Instruments recommends that you use the File Dialog Express VI instead.

I've marked Your answer as solution, but the question if this bug is known is still not answered. I'll make a bug report anyway.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(4,370 Views)

> indeed NI reccomends not to use express VI's in final code,

Where do you see that recommendation? Lots of express VIs are used in final code. There shouldn't be any recommendations against that that I know of.

This looks to be a bug in that one VI.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(4,353 Views)

I do know that the file dialog in LV2010 is buggy. I was able to reproduce an incidious one that bit me like a scorpion!

(If anyone really needs to know I will try to dig it up)

I am not sure if it was fixed in 2011 but it apparently was in 2012 since my demo did not show the buggy behavior.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(4,334 Views)

We reproduced the bug in LV 2015.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(4,318 Views)

Hi all,

their has been a CAR (Corrective Action Request) filled out with this issue.

The number to look after in the bug fixes will be the 539895

best regards

Michael

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(4,277 Views)

CAR 539895 has been fixed in LabVIEW 2016. For more details, please see the LabVIEW 2016 Bug Fix List.

--------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(3,911 Views)