LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fastest way to add action engines to a project

How do you have an action engine in your re-use library in a way that the core (with shift registers / feedback node) can be duplicated?

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 20
(1,904 Views)

Look Here

@Gregory wrote:

Can I save a group of VIs as a template, or do I have to save them one by one? Or do you make a "Tree.vi" that has all of the subVIs on the block diagram so that you can pull them all into your project at the same time?

Project Templates you create can REALLY save time.  In the case where I did it under the instructions from the referenced white paper and eventual nugget.  I was able to coordinate 14 exclusive but, simmilar projects accross 12 test stations with 5 Developers in three States in minimal time.  Trust me, Project Templates are well worth the effort.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 20
(1,899 Views)

Hi Jeff,

I followed the paper and now from the "Create Project" screen I can see my project template and start up a new project containing my VIs. When I go to create >> new... I do not see it though, do you know what I am missing?

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 20
(1,890 Views)

I use the library approach as you described in the first post.

RT-click libraray Save as...

add it to the project...

Edit the icon done.

Nice and simple works fine.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 20
(1,878 Views)

I will use Template(.vit).

Certified LabVIEW Architect
Certified TestStand Architect
0 Kudos
Message 15 of 20
(1,815 Views)

What is the difference between using a template and just copying and pasting a "trusty old VI" from a reuse folder into a new project? Is this based around having a folder of VI's that all work together?

--Kellen

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 20
(1,246 Views)

@rkmadse wrote:

What is the difference between using a template and just copying and pasting a "trusty old VI" from a reuse folder into a new project? Is this based around having a folder of VI's that all work together?

--Kellen

A template is already set up to be "copied".  It is best used with a reuse library.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 17 of 20
(1,231 Views)

The FGV really wants to be a private member of a lvlib that wraps the actions with an API with proper documentation and required inputs.  An FGV library project template does 95 percent of that including editing the icons.  

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 18 of 20
(1,229 Views)

Hello together,

although it might be two years later, your discussion seems very interesting to me. I have an Action Engine which represents a Variant Lookup Table, it consists of three files:

myVLT_Action.ctl - an enum for init, set & get

myVLT_AE.vi - my Action Engine for manipulation and data storage

myVLT_DataDefinition.ctl - the typedef which defines in and output of my Action Engine (= the attributes my VLT can hold)

In this case, I need a copy to change the myVLT_DataDefinition.ctl to the specific use. Maybe I need three of them in one project, each holding different attributes. So a lib in userlib is no way to go..

I could save the VI as myVLT_AE.vit in template folder, but that won't copy the two controls into my project. How do I get those two copied there two? I've had a look at the Creating New VI From Template.vi. It seems to be possible to script also the copy of a control. But then I would have to run a vi to get the three files in my project, wouldn't I?

I could also save the three files together as a project template. But then I could only use it as a starting point for a new project, couldn't I?

What am I missing here? How do I get my action enginge fast to a project? Or is my design of the AE bad?

Proud developer at Hampel Software Engineering where we turn '404 not found' into '200 OK'. Join us on Discord
0 Kudos
Message 19 of 20
(1,155 Views)

Hi AlexElb,

This is how I would add it to project. Add those 3 files to a library, myVLT.lvlib. Keep these 4 files in a folder somewhere as the master copy.

In Windows File Explorer:

Copy and paste this folder somewhere relevant for your project. (preferably not auto-populating)

Rename the folder to something that reflects it's specific use.

In LabVIEW:

Drag and drop the library .lvlib file into a relevant place in your LabVIEW project, your other myVLT files will automatically come with it.

Right-click and rename the .lvlib to something similar to its folder name from above. 

Message 20 of 20
(1,138 Views)