LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FXP division by 2 fails

I simply want to divide an FXP number by 2 in my FPGA target but I get an incorrect result. For example when the input is 1.413788, out comes 0.206894 after one iteration. The code looks like this:

FXP division.PNG

Using Labview 8.6 and the FPGA is a  PCI-7833R. Please help me!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,580 Views)

What's the point of converting from a fixed-point to a fixed-point?

If you get rid of everything except the math operations - no while loop, no sequence structure (which is unnecessary anyway) - what happens? I built a simple FPGA VI (LabVIEW 2012) that just does the fixed-point conversion and the divide, and ran it on my development computer (I don't know if 8.6 supports this mode). It works exactly as expected.

For dividing by 2, it would be a lot easier to either shift 1 bit, or reinterpret the same bit pattern such that the integer portion is 1 bit less, depending on which is appropriate for your application.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,555 Views)

Are  you sure about the input? If the input were O.413788, the answer would be correct.

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,549 Views)

Fixed point divide by 2 can be done just by changing the representation.

This works for any divide by a power of 2, IE 2, 4, 8, 16, 32.......

This method uses no fabric and if inside a SCTL uses not clock cycles.

diagram.jpg

panel.jpg

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,507 Views)

@fppf wrote:

Fixed point divide by 2 can be done just by changing the representation.

There's no need to use so many functions to do this. The simplest way to do this is the Reinterpret Number function, although I don't know if it was available in LabVIEW 8.6. Of course since the functions you suggested use no FPGA fabric, this isn't an efficiency concern, but I think fewer functions makes for cleaner code.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,504 Views)

Check the format of your fixed-point value. Make sure you have the binary point set properly as well as the interger bits and sign bit. You make be losing the integer part apon conversion.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,502 Views)