LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTDI USB UART Using LabView

I am making a USB-based temperature monitoring using microcrontroller and external thermistor. Can you give a LabView-based program sample for this application in which my LabView GUI and my microcontroller communicate? I already downloaded the FTDI's D2XX drivers and the USB VIs.

I also inserted the simplified schematic.

Simplified Schematic.JPG

Best regards,

Macoy

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(4,287 Views)

Hello Macoy,

The forums in general are not necessarily designed for users/developers to generate examples for you. Did you download the FTDI driver from their website? You might consider contacting them for specifications on how to use their driver with LabVIEW. I have been trying to find these drivers on our driver network, ni.com/idnet, and have not been successful. Depending on how these drivers were created there are many possibilities for how they intend communication to function. With our drivers, it is necessary to create a communication resource in our system configuration manager software called Measurement & Automation Explorer or MAX. For USB devices you can follow the steps in this link to set up a resource in MAX:

http://www.ni.com/white-paper/4478/en

This is at least a good starting point to be able to at least use the USB ports to communicate. Further functionality will be based on the drivers that you are using.

Ian M.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(4,252 Views)
FTDI does have examples for using the D2xx driver. Do NOT use anything related to that silly suggestion about the VISA wizard. The LabVIEW USB functions are also not at all relevant.

You'll find more examples about using the FTDI chip as a serial port. I think this is a far more common approach as you can debug communication with a standard terminal emulation program.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(4,250 Views)