cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FPGA

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

I have read that " You can not use LabVIEW classes in a top-level FPGA VI ". What does the "top-level FPGA VI" mean?

best regard

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,269 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author alre

The Top Level VI, is the VI that is called by no VI, as a subVI (except reentrant ones I guess).  It is the one that starts the execution.

http://www.ni.com/documentation/en/labview-comms/1.0/fpga-targets/designating-top-level-fpga-vi/

Also you need a more descriptive title post, and to use search next time.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,254 Views)

Thanks for your reply!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,244 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author alre

Just to expand on Hoovahh's response a bit ...

The FPGA context currently only allows one VI to represent the image for the entire FPGA. That VI is determined by the Build Specification. You can see which VI is selected as Top-Level in the Build Specification's Properties page. 

2016-01-12_9-39-46.png

Good luck!

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,233 Views)

Thanks!!!

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,202 Views)

@alre wrote:

Hello,

I have read that " You can not use LabVIEW classes in a top-level FPGA VI ". What does the "top-level FPGA VI" mean?

best regard

Others have answered what a "top-level FPGA VI" is.  What I want to address is your first statement: "You can not use LabVIEW classes in a top-level FPGA VI".

I don't know what was meant in the context of what you read but one can definitely instantiate LabVIEW objects in the block diagram of a top-level FPGA VI. Perhaps they meant "you cannot use a class's member method as a top-level FPGA VI"?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,268 Views)