LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FPGA with unsynchronized data transfer to host.

Hello,

I have a question about synchronizing my FPGA application and my Host.

I am using a 7962R Virtex5 board and a Ni5323 digitizer (80MHz).

To start my application i am triggering the acquisition with a 50kHz trigger on a PFI line.

It does work but when i take the data out of the FIFO on the host i can't see a stable waveform on the graph.

I am acquiring 1024 points and have the host FIFO depth at 500000.

Does anyone have an idea since i thought that DMA transfer is inherently synchronized?

I attached my fpga and host code if that helps.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(2,578 Views)

Hi Basbee,

I see a main fundamental flaw in your current setup.  When using Analog inputs or outputs with FlexRIO, it is a must that the SCTL (Single Cycle Timed Loop) and ADCs on the FAM are driven by the same clock.  You were right in the idea that we want the SCTL running at 80 MHz, but we need to actually use IO Module Clock to time the SCTL so that is the same 80 MHz clock that is driving the ADCs and not a separate clock that just happens to be the same frequency.  

For the record, you change what is on IO Mod Clock 1 in the CLIP, as shown below (You want it -0 for 80 MHz):

Capture3.PNG

Then, the only other thing I would point out is that the FPGA is acquiring 1024 points, but your host VI is reading 1024*10 samples that it graphs.  I would imagine there would be jumps in your data at those points considering you are sampling every 20uS (based on your trigger) and each time you sample you collect (12.8uS of data).

Cheers,

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(2,541 Views)

Dear Chris,

Thanks for the reply.

I am actually using the IO module clock i just forgot to change it. And for the 10 times 1024 samples. Even if i take out only 1024 samples at a time the jumps happen.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(2,531 Views)

Problem solved, the host depth was not big enough. i have to set it to 900Mpoints to get it stable.

I am not sure if that is the right approach but it works.

I have another problem. When i run the acquisition, i can see the spectrum or multiple ones on the waveform graph.If i stop it and start it again it will shift a little as if there are still points in the FIFO which not have gotten out.

I am using a reset method node before i close the fpga reference because i thought that makes sure that the DMA FIFO is empty.

Am i understanding that right?

Cheers

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(2,520 Views)

You can do a zero-element read from the FIFO to return the number of elements remaining in the FIFO, then read that number of elements with another read. This effectively empties the FIFO.

---
CLA
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(2,514 Views)

Dear Thoult,

Thanks it works. I put that in Front of my acquisition loop and now my spectra always start at zero.

I just don't know why the reset and stop method node don't work too.

Cheers

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(2,492 Views)

I don't believe the reset method is applicable to DMA FIFOs. Stop should work though (although I always use the zero element read anyway, out of habit).

---
CLA
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(2,470 Views)

@Basbee wrote:

I just don't know why the reset and stop method node don't work too.

It's an older post, and I've never confirmed it, but this thread says that the Stop method of a DMA FIFO only clears the host portion of the FIFO which could leave stale data in the FPGA memory, perhaps that's what you're seeing?

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(2,457 Views)

Dear nathand,

Thanks for that. I thought I read something that it  clears the DMA and i assumed that it works for both sides but i guess i was mistaken. Do you know if there is a way to make sure it is clear with a method node on the FPGA side. Because the clear method node only works for target scoped FIFOs and not DMA ones.

If not the other method works fine.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(2,448 Views)

There is no way to clear it on the FPGA, you need to read the data on the host until there's no data remaining.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(2,443 Views)