cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FPGA time sistematically off

Solved!
Go to solution

hi

I'm using 2 target to host DMA FIFOs to transfer acquired data to the host PC (see picture).

In the FPGA vi, whitin the while loop, I use a Wait (in microseconds).

Whatever the value "dt" given to this Wait, in the host I recollect data with a systematic error in time:

every 10 points the time elapsed is not dt but (dt+1 microsec).

It's a small error, but becomes significant when dt needs to go below 10 us, as I need, and makes the analysis harder.

This behavior is always identical and not random (I get ten good "dt", then one dt+1 microsec, and back again).

I wonder if I do something wrong or if it's an intrisic problem.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,296 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author fpdx

You should try using a Sequence Structure:

timing.JPG

Per the help documents:

To manage execution rates with the Loop Timer Express VI, place the Loop Timer Express VI in the first frame of a Flat Sequence structure or a Stacked Sequence structure and put the rest of the code in subsequent frames.

EDIT:

You should also note that the first iteration may be off.  There is nothing that can be done about this (from what I understand).  But after the initial loop, every other execution will follow quite strictly to your timing selected by the Loop Timer Express VI.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If someone helped you out, please select their post as the solution and/or give them Kudos!
Message 2 of 3
(2,270 Views)

solved, thanks.

The problem was that I was using the Wait function, instead of the Loop Timer.

Once switched to Loop Timer, using it in the first  frame of a sequence structure, the time between points is finally constant.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,240 Views)