LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FPGA digial output problems with while loops on 7951 w/6581

Im trying to simply output 4 synchronized square waves from a digital output port.  I have the block diagram pictured in the attachment running on my FPGA.  A loop on my controller simply updates the value of "rate mode frequency" to change the rate and the direction boolean changes the phase of the square waves.  I had this working fine on a PXI-7833R.  No problems at all, and was able to generate the signal up to several MHz. 

I had to switch to a PXI 7951 with the 6581 Digital I/O attachment, and I cant get the digital outputs to work.  I can see the boolean values changing if I attach an indicator to the lines going into the I/O control, but I see nothing on the scope.

The 7951/6581 isn't broken, I can see digital output values changing if I write a very simple code using a for loop and update  values that way.

Ive been trying to fix this the past two weeks and have gotten nowhere, so hopefully someone here will have some insight to the problem.

Thanks in advance,

-Mike

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,492 Views)

Hi M1080, 

I'm not sure why the code you posted is not behaving as you expect, but it may have something to do with the architecture.  Is there a particular reason you are using the square wave generation express VI?  Typically that function is intended for analog values, and the way that you are converting the output to booleans in another loop seems a bit inefficient to simply generate a clock.  I would recommend directly toggling a boolean line after a specified number of clock ticks.  The attached image illustrates two possible ways to approach this:

FPGA Clock Generation.PNG

Cheers!

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,441 Views)

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for the reply.  I tried the block diagrams you posted, and Im having the same problem.  If I use a while loop , like is in the diagram you posted, It doesn't work.  I see nothing on the oscilliscope, but I do see the values changing on the "Reg loop clock indicator".

If I simply change the while loop to a for loop, it works, and I see the square wave on the scope. 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,396 Views)

Hi Mike,

Have you gone through the Getting Results with the NI PXI-6581R manual? There are alot of extraneous variables that going through a getting started example will help eliminate. Would you be able to go through this manual and post which step you got stuck on?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,382 Views)

I figured it out...

For some reason, in a while loop, I have to set the port WE to true every time I write the digital channel.  In the for loop I dont have to do this.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,338 Views)

Thanks for posting your solution. If you're curious why thats required you may find the help document below interesting. I've posted the portion of interest from the document.

Using FPGA I/O (FPGA Module)

http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/371599H-01/lvfpgaconcepts/performing_basic_i_o/

fpga_io.PNG

Message 6 of 6
(3,323 Views)