LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FPGA cloud service behind proxy/firewall

Hello,

We are planning to use the FPGA cloud service for our development, and so I made a try to connect to the server (using the “Test Connection” button in “Configure” dialog). Because we are behind a Proxy/Firewall system, I expected to get a Proxy connection dialog (as I get one when registering NI software) but it never comes up, and naturally the test failed to contact the server.

Is there a setting somewhere to tell the compiler it has to go through a proxy? Knowing the proxy is already declared in my internet settings and event in the winhttp section of netsh.

Best Regards,

Message 1 of 4
(8,548 Views)

Hello thumble,

I realize this post is a few months old and you may have found a workaround by now, but I wanted to post an answer in case anyone in the future runs into the same problem and finds this post. 

You will need to add the URL of the FPGA Compile Cloud Service to the list of exceptions for the proxy server configuration. You can accomplish this through clicking Start -> Control Panel -> Network and Internet -> Internet Options. In that dialog box, you can change the LAN Settings under the Connections tab. From clicking Advanced, you can add the URL (https://galileo.niwsc.com) to the list of exceptions. 

I hope this helps!

Lauren

Applications Engineering

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(8,301 Views)

Hello Lauren, thanks for the reply,

To close the subject, here’s the full story:

Actually, the problem is not a firewall issue but due to the proxy. Like many companies, our intranet has a link to the internet through a firewall/proxy system. This one is managed by our FAI, in relation with our IT department. The only legal way out to the web is through that proxy.

So I asked my IT to ask to the FAI to setup a rule to allow a direct access to "galileo.niwsc.com", and it worked fine … for about 3 weeks.

Looking into that, I found that the "galileo.niwsc.com" was indeed an alias name to a real server hosted by Google or so, and that this late moves randomly over a pool of servers.

So I asked to make the rule dependent upon the alias name and was told, because some obscure protocol layer reasons, that was not allowed and only a well-known IP address could be used.

Then, for a (short) while, I soon as I noticed the server have been moved, I posted a request to change the rule with the new IP. Because of the workflow of the request (me è IT dpt. è FAI) the latency (and overhead) was such that sometimes, when the rule had been corrected, the server had already been moved again.

Finally the only viable solution we have found is to host our own compiling farm on a server into the intranet.

Best regards,

Laurent

Message 3 of 4
(8,281 Views)

Hi Laurent,

Thank you for responding with the full story of your experience. You were right in what you found from your research, the IP address changes frequently due to the load balancing of the instances on the server used. I understand that makes it difficult to work through a proxy, but I'm glad you were able to set up your own compiling farm.

Thanks,

Lauren

Applications Engineer

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(8,262 Views)