From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FPGA Error -63195

Solved!
Go to solution

I recently installed LabVIEW 2013 and I am looking to write a FPGA program for the PXI-7853R.  I want to use I2C_Core from the Community to do some basic I2C communication. 

I follow their documentation guide and successfully get "I2C_Core_[Top-Level].vi" to compile and run without error.

Then I continue to follow their documentation and I set the FPGA reference in "I2C_Host_[Top-Level].vi" to my bit-file that was just generated from the compilation.

When I run the "I2C_Host_[Top-Level].vi" with "Open I2C Bus", it completes without error and does generate a handle (if I probe the line/shift register).  However if I try to "Close I2C Bus" or "Send CMD", it throws error -63195:

error.JPG

According to the FPGA Communications Framework Error Codes reference, −63195 stands for "The handle for device communication is invalid or has been closed. Restart the application."

I have tried going through the documentation steps MANY times and I still get this error.  I've tried updating to LabvIEW 2013 SP1.  That did not help.  Ive tried recompiling the FPGA code a bunch.  That didn't work.  No luck 😞

In order to test the DIO lines and FPGA, I created a simple Test program to just toggle the lines on and off.  (This is also included in the project under the FPGA Target):

Test FPGA.png

This program compiled and worked fine.  I attached the lines to some oscilloscope probes and saw them going high and low without issue.

Any thoughts on what might be wrong with my I2C_Core setup for FPGA would be greatly appreciated!

**Notes:

I have spent hours reading every single post containing this error code on the forums.  None of them have even remotely helped. 

EDIT1:

The attachment didn't like a .rar file.  I am reupploading it now as a .zip.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If someone helped you out, please select their post as the solution and/or give them Kudos!
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(6,613 Views)

Hi MrHappyAsthma

Are you running this FPGA VI in interactive mode? If that is the case, I have seen this happen before. I actually got a document that stated that problem for a cRIO and is related to the VISA session. Here is what it says about it:

This error can occur if LabVIEW automatically closes the VISA session created for communicating with the FPGA backplane of the CompactRIO system. To prevent this, open the Tools » Options dialog, select the Environment category, and uncheck the Automatically Close VISA Sessions checkbox.

If the above step does not fix the problem, open the LabVIEW.ini file located in your labviewdirectory with a text editor (e.g. Notepad). If you have a token that reads cleanupVisa=True, change it to cleanupVisa=False. If this token does not already exist, add cleanupVisa=False to the bottom of the INI file, save it, and restart LabVIEW.

Fabián M.
Internal Sales Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(6,576 Views)

First off, thank you for your time in responding. I appreciate the assistance! 🙂

Second, how do I disable interactive mode?  Perhaps that is the issue.

I unchecked the "Automatically Close Visa Sessions" and also added that line to the LabVIEW.ini file.  Neither of those helped at all. 

Do you have any other suggestions?

If someone helped you out, please select their post as the solution and/or give them Kudos!
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(6,568 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author MrHappyAsthma

WIth some help from NI Support Tickets, I found out that even though the FPGA reference is stored in a shift register, the FPGA session is closed after the Host VI execution is complete. 

This VI is not designed to be ran alone (even though to documentation doesn't make this clear), but rather, called multiple times as a subVI from within a master VI. 

Once you call the Host VI via consecutive subVI calls, the "FPGA Closed Reference Error -63195" goes away. 🙂

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(6,542 Views)

Hi,

Can you please tell me how can i "call the Host VI via consecutive subVI calls"?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(5,313 Views)

Please repost this in a new thread in order to get more traffic to your question, especially since this thread has already been answered.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(5,301 Views)