LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FP object alignment selection improperly indicated

This is a little cosmetic detail but...

Drop down two random controls on a FP and take a look at the alignment tools in the menu bar:

Screen Shot 2015-04-08 at 11.00.56.png

No, the two controls are not left-aligned. Left alignment just happens to be the last choice I made on another set of controls.

Similarly:

Screen Shot 2015-04-08 at 11.01.12.png

No, the two controls are not squeezed against one another. It just happens to be the last choice I made on another set of controls.

In other words, these drop-down menus show a selection (when they do) which has nothing to do with the state of the currently selected objects.

This is not the common convention in most software I am familiar with.

Tested in LV 2013 SP 1 64 bits

Edit: This is of course also the case with BD objects.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,671 Views)

I expect that this is because that's exactly what it was designed to do. You might ask what the point of showing the last action is. The only thing I can think of is that there are operations to repeat the last action (Ctrl+D and Ctrl+Shift+A) and this will show you what that was.

Of course, if you already got to the point of having the menu open, it's probably faster to just select the action you want than to dismiss the menu and use the shortcut. If you want this changed, I expect a trip to the IE is in order. I would consider, though, that there are probably better mechanisms NI could implement to help with alignment, such as guide lines.

(2,658 Views)

Fair point. However, as you said, if I were to use a keyboard shortcut to repeat my previous alignment action, I would not need a visual feedback in a pull-down menu I would not use.

I'll leave as is for NI's consideration. Let's put it this way: even if it is intended, it still doesn't make much sense.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,645 Views)

If the two controls were the exact same size and they are aligned one above the other.

What should the alignment tool drop down show?

Left Edges, Horizontal Center and Right Edges all at the same time? Which all three would true.

Omar
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,619 Views)

I guess the last applied alignment tool (TO THAT SET OF OBJECTS) would be the most logical.

But I would be fine with the first that applies in the list being the one highlighted

IF no alignment tool was used BUT the objects happened to be aligned in one or more ways, some creative interface would for instance have all relevant alignments highlighted in a subtle way (dotted blue frame?) and the first that applies in the list being highlighted plain blue.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,590 Views)