From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FFT of signal

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi

Im trying to figure our the noise in a laser. My set up is Laser- Detector-Oscilloscope. I read the signal using a GPIB and Labview program. I think I need to take the FFT of the signal produced but it does not give me anything. I wired the output signal to the FFT.vi and the result is one peak at 0 (zero). I should al least see a peak around 60 Hz(room light) but I dont see it. My sampling rate is 100Ksamples/second. Also, how can I see frequency on x-axis of the FFT plot and what is the Y plot on FFT chart?

Thank you

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 18
(4,557 Views)
use the spectral annalysis VI
Somil Gautam
Think Weird
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 18
(4,531 Views)
also, on x axis is the frequency (since you are dealing fith fourier transform) and on y axis is the signal amplitude
Somil Gautam
Think Weird
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 18
(4,530 Views)

Thank you for your reply

Ive used the spectral analysis, Im attaching thefront panel and the block diagram. I still cannot see frequency of the rom light.(frequency numbers are changing from 0.1 to 0.4) Is that the Hz unit?? why? Again my set up is Laser- Detector and Oscilloscope and the scope is connected to the computer using a GPIB interface. 

Thank you so much

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 18
(4,502 Views)
The spectral analysis function is not getting any sample rate information. All that you are passing it is a dbl array. Use the Build Waveform function to add the dt and pass that. The dt is probably something that is part of the cluster returned by the scope.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 18
(4,497 Views)
so Im gonna build a waveform using delta T (which is the time division in the scope) and the signal (voltage reading from laser) and then Im gonna feed this into spectral analysis VI. Is that correct?
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 18
(4,492 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author esra
Yes. Without dt information, the spectral analsyis function will assume a sample rate of 1.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 18
(4,475 Views)

so I builded a waveform and put dt and Y (signal) and fed that into spectral analysis. Also I put a chopper on the way 100 Hz frequency to be able to see the signal. Now I should see a peak at 60 Hz, 120 Hz(room light) and the signal around 100 Hz. but I see nothing. The sample rate is 250 Ksamples/second because oscilloscope decides the sample rate. If I let the time/division to be 20 ms then to be able to collect 50,000 data points the sample rate should be 250 Ksamples/second. whatever the sample rate is the oscilloscope wants to collect 50000 data points. Could you please help?

Thank you

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 18
(4,455 Views)

Hi again

I think I figured it out, I can see the chopper frequency now, but I cannot see the room light still. But part of the problem is solved. Thank you very much

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 18
(4,430 Views)

could you share what your solution was?  I'm having a similar problem.  Or does anyone have a better idea for how to take an FFT of an array of data (I have one 1D array of time data and one 1D array of the corresponding F(t) data).  I interpolated the dataset so that everything is spaced equally and then built a waveform and fed it into the spectral analysis express vi but get the same noise-like signal shown in the jpeg in the previous post.  I've also tried the regular FFT vi, but I'm not sure what the 'bin' number corresponds to - it seems really strange to me that you only input the dependent variable and only get the dependent variable out - to me it would make more sense to input the dependent variable and the independent variable and then get the transformed dependent variable plus the 'frequency' out.  Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 18
(3,995 Views)