LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exporting Waveform Chart to Excel with only One X Column

Hello LabVIEW community.  I am having an issue with Waveform charts.  When I right click on the waveform chart and navigate to "Export -> Export Data to Excel," LabVIEW then of course exports the data to Excel, but with an X Column for each Plot.  I only want one X Column.  But instead, I am getting "X-Axis - Plot 1," "X-Axis - Plot 2," etc. for Column headers.  It should just be one column that says "X-Axis" then the remaining columns are "Y-Axis 1," Y-Axis 2," etc.  I assume it does this because it thinks I am going to create a chart or something on Excel?  Any way to set it up it to not do this?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(3,963 Views)

Those Export functions are pretty limited in scope and customizability. Why not stream to a spreadsheet programmatically?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 12
(3,951 Views)

@DailyDose wrote:

I assume it does this because it thinks I am going to create a chart or something on Excel?  Any way to set it up it to not do this?

Probably does it because it is possible for each waveform to have a different dT value when the waveform graph is a 1-D array of waveforms.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(3,948 Views)

@ijustlovemath wrote:

Those Export functions are pretty limited in scope and customizability. Why not stream to a spreadsheet programmatically?

That's too bad.  I was kind of secretly hoping to avoid having to stream it.  But ya gotta do what ya gotta do I suppose.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12
(3,923 Views)

Create a small VI where you use VI server to grab the data from that waveform graph.  Have it grab the waveforms from that graph and programmically structure the data it so it is one X column and however many Y columns and put that  into an Excel spreadsheet.

Have that VI open and ready to run.  When you want to export the data, just run that separate VI instead.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12
(3,916 Views)

So... is there a way to manipulate the X Axis?  Right now it just counts from 1 -> N in single digit increments.  I want to be able to manipulate this obviously and give it the actual time of that data point.  I'm sure there's an example of this, but I am having no luck finding it.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12
(3,901 Views)
You may consider using "Format Date/time string". Using the default locale, excel will see it as a DateTime, which can be used to plot proper timings.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12
(3,899 Views)

@DailyDose wrote:

So... is there a way to manipulate the X Axis?  Right now it just counts from 1 -> N in single digit increments.  I want to be able to manipulate this obviously and give it the actual time of that data point.  I'm sure there's an example of this, but I am having no luck finding it.

Can you attach a VI where you have the waveform graph saved with default data?

Do your waveforms have a t0 value in them?  Is the dT value something other than 1?

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12
(3,894 Views)

I believe my issue is that I don't know how to input a dt.  Right now, I'm just building a cluster of the values and then inputting that into the waveform chart.  So there's no time data.  Do I need to create a data and dt cluster, then input that into the full data cluster then put that into the waveform chart?

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12
(3,891 Views)

Ahh, you did say waveform chart, and I was thinking a waveform graph.  (mainly because I've been using waveform graphs the last view weeks to visualize some data.)

Yes, if you are throwing doubles at a chart, you don't have timing information.  There are two ways to get timing information in a chart.  One is you can edit the chart properties to set the offset and the multiplier.  The other is to build the waveform like you said.

The best way to build the waveform is to use the "Build Waveform" function rather than just an ordinary cluster of those items.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12
(3,887 Views)