From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Executable runs fine on source machine but no data on remote machine

I've created a very simple VI in labview 7.1 which collects two channels of thermocouple data from a USB 9211a card, displays them, and sends them to a file.  The VI works with no problem on the source machine as either the original VI or as the executable I built.  When I attempt to run the executable on a remote machine (NI-DAQ 8.0) the file starts fine, requests the file to save the data to, and appears to run, but never collects any data.  The displays both show 0 F, and the data file is empty other than the header.  I get no errors.  I ran test panel on the remote machine and the 9211a card is recognized and responds to temperature variations.  Any suggestions?

Thanks, Shawn
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,582 Views)

Hi Shawn,

Since nobody's replied yet...

I haven't used the 9211 but would look for it in MAX (the Measurement and Automation Explorer) and TEST IT there - assuming it's supposed to be there Smiley Wink  Sometimes opening MAX once is all it takes to get a new [NI] device working.

I see this device uses NI-DAQmx - also installed on the Run-time station(?)

Cheers.

When they give imbeciles handicap-parking, I won't have so far to walk!
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,565 Views)

Yes, the test panel I mentioned is the located in MAX.  It works fine there...just not when I run the executable.

Thanks,

S.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,554 Views)

Typically, this occurs when a file is missing (or wrong file installed) on the target PC (running the executable, only).

However, you mentionned that you are not getting any error message.  Are you using any calibration file? Something is missing on the target PC. 

It is possible not to getan error if the location in the code where the error occurs is not wired to the error cluster... and does not generate a run-time error, which would create a pop-up..

JLV

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,552 Views)
Okay, I got it.  The remote machine named the device differently than the source machine.  I renamed it to match the source machine (and code) and it works fine.  I assumed that the app builder was smart enough to assign things based on the serial number rather than the name.  I'm surprised no error was generate when it didn't find the device though....

Shawn
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,547 Views)

@Ubermensch wrote:
I'm surprised no error was generate when it didn't find the device though....

Yes, those bugs are a bit tricky..  It's one of those "been there, done that" type of learning experience.

Glad to read that it now works.  And I'm still learning new things about the builder...

🙂

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,538 Views)