LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Executable loads for Admin but, for User, has DLL complaints

Hi,
   I just delivered an app (executable) that works fine - only if run under my Windows login.  Otherwise, on loading the VIs that reference NIs DAQ and DIO DLLs, it complains about "LabVIEW load error code 21: An external subroutine required for execution could not be found"."

I'm expecting that generic Windows "Users" don't have sufficient authority to some DLL-related resource, but can't figure-out what it is.  PATH includes VXI/bin path, and "Everyone" has full control over the VXI directories/files.  The Security settings for the directory, where the EXE and DLLs reside, give Read & Execute permission to Users - is that sufficient?

Any-help is appreciated.
When they give imbeciles handicap-parking, I won't have so far to walk!
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,730 Views)
Hi

I encountered a similiar problem before. so what i do is that i login as user instead of admin. copy whichever problematic file and paste it again. now the creator of that new file become the user instead of the admin. it might not be a good solution if you want to limit access rights. but it works fine otherwise

Goy
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,713 Views)

Hi Goy,

If domainUser-A copies/pastes "the file" - becomming creator - would it solve the problem for domainUser-B?  I had to get app going and found that making a user a "Power User" made problem go away (for that user).  Would prefer a solution that won't require any per-user maintenance.  Plan to test your suggestion at first opportunity.

Thanks & Regards.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,712 Views)
The fastest way to track this down I find is to use a tool called FileMon from System Internals (http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/Filemon.html). It is a simple, single EXE to run. Just filter on the name of the executable and then run the EXE. It is likely to generate a huge amount of information, but near the end should be some ERROR or ACCESS DENIED results for a given DLL.

Note that filemon may not run successfully under that user account if it can't hook what it needs to. In that case, try running filemon.exe with the runas command. For example

c:\>runas /user:MYDOMAIN\MyUserAccount filemon.exe
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,695 Views)

Hi Brian,

Thanks.  Sounds like a great tool (though, always a little skeptical of the free ones.)

Downloaded it and expect it will come in handy frequently.

Cheers.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,679 Views)
I understand your skepticism and share it. However, while I have no financial stake in sysinternals, I always want to push their stuff. Why? Because it is incredibly useful to me and I want these guys to keep doing what they are doing! 🙂

I strongly encourage everyone to browse around the site and check out their tools. Their Task Manager replacement is superfine and they have several command line tools (see the PsTools collection) that make life easier for us command line junkies.

Oh - and I should mention that the guys who write all this stuff know Windows. Mark Russinovich, one of the founders, is the co-author for the bible of how Windows works - Inside Windows.

Message Edited by Lycangeek on 08-09-2005 04:22 PM

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,676 Views)