LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exe behaves inconsistently with input data into a cluster

I'm on Labview 2011, SP1, so this may have been updated, but here's a quirk I discovered.

I was reading a network shared variable on a remote machine (with 7 integers) into a labview built app (exe) and passing those integers to a cluster used for control.  Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't, so I figured I didn't understand shared variable enough (even though I had used them in the same situation many times).

I switched to writing a file on that remote system, then reading that info into the same cluster.  Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't.  Tried all kinds of tricks, but any time there was a direct connection between that variable input data and the cluster, it was inconsistent.

Turns out that the problem seemed to be the exe halting without error upon bundling the data into the cluster, but not every time. 

So what finally got around the problem was writing the integers to a duplicate cluster, then using a local variable of that cluster to bundle those values into the  controlling cluster. 

Once the path between network passed input data and controlling cluster was "double blind" to the application builder, the problem was gone.

In case it makes some difference, the controlling cluster originated as a user control.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(1,837 Views)

Do you have a simple example that demonstrates the problem. I would like to test it on later versions.

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(1,826 Views)