From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Excellent custom icon editor

Hello All,

Just thought I would share this little tool with the rest of the forum. It is a custom icon editor with a load of nifty features such as dragging template icons in and also storing pre-set icon layouts. I can't really describe it properly, its best experienced! Smiley Very Happy

It lives here, download and run the install VI (the whole tool is in G), then to use it just double click on the icon like you would normally do to edit it.

There are a couple of things it can't do yet, but to work around this just press CTRL-. to abort the VI and then the normal icon editor will appear!

Neil

ps: Sorry if this is old news to some people, but I only discovered it recently and figured it may be helpful to others.

Message 1 of 52
(8,122 Views)
Neil,
let me guess -> are you a marketing machine 🙂
Which features are you missing beside text and selection tool?

Thanks,
ThSa
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 52
(8,053 Views)
ThSa,
it would be nice if we could hold the mouse button to "draw" using the pen tool (or the erase tool). Currently you have to click every single pixel individually.

Daniel

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 52
(8,039 Views)
Marketing? urgh no! I just like spreading good information.

I really think NI could do with overhauling the icon editor, its stuck in 1996! (Maybe they will steal some of your good ideas!).

One thing I can't figure out, is every time I open the editor it defaults to the "_Default" icon style? It would be nice if it instead defaulted to the sytle used most recently. Its only a minor inconvenience though!
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 52
(8,030 Views)
Pen and eraser tool functionality got improved.
Also the icon editor stores the most recently used style and icon palette.

ThSa
Message 5 of 52
(7,983 Views)
Wow, that was quick. Thanks!

Daniel

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 52
(7,980 Views)
I've uploaded version 2.0 of the icon editor.

The following changes were done:
  • Text tool
  • Selection tool
  • Option to save new templates out of the icon editor  (32x32px) was added
  • Option to save the selected area as new template was added

ThSa
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 52
(7,864 Views)
Hi there ThSa,

I would like to download the latest version of your excellent icon editor, but I cannot seem to ever reach your link, my web browser always times out. Oddly I have quite a few problems with the NI website with things like this, no other websites though.. odd

Do you think you could post the latest version as an attachment in the forum somewhere?

Also, I have a suggestion for a feature I thought would be handy. It would be nice to be able to display on a single page all the different icon templates that have been saved. This is useful when designing a new template as I can never remember what my previous colour schemes were. If they were all viewable on a single page I could then quickly look for a new colour scheme!

Many thanks
Neil
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 52
(7,642 Views)
Hi Neil,

this is a very good input!
I think I will implement this and also a list of all icons in an html page that you can work easily in parallel without having troubles with the modal windows...

I put the icon eitor on our FTP server.
You can download it from here: IconEditor

Please don't forget to backup the IconEditor.ini file and the NIG_icons folder before updating the icon editor.
For future I will implement a more comfortable install script...

Thanks,
Tom

Message Edited by ThSa on 03-02-2008 01:43 PM
Message 9 of 52
(7,621 Views)
Great, I managed to download it fine. Thanks.

I followed your (careful) installation instructions, after losing my templates last time, and am pleased to say it all works as promised Smiley Very Happy
Although I didnt need to back up the ini file as your installer doesnt copy over that directory.

I like the additional icons.

Another feature request! (Tell me when you get sick of them.) It would be great to be able to use the cursor keys to move the Text around when using that tool (like in the NI icon editor), moving it one pixel at a time is very handy, as usually I dont put it exactly where I want to when I place the first character.

Again, thanks on this excellent tool! I hope your manager at NI knows how good it is Smiley Tongue

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 52
(7,598 Views)