LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Excel Toolkit GOOP Stopped Working

I spent the better part of a day searching the forums for a solution, and I am a bit stuck.

I wrote a program some time ago where I would open a chosen Excel file, then read measurements from a multimeter, then drop those values in the active cell.

This  .exe has worked swimmingly for several years.

However, just this week IT replaced a PC on the floor and the program is not longer opening Excel.

I am using the Philips/GOOP Excel plugins for Labview.  The code is written in Labview 2012.

The trouble PC is Windows 7, 64-bit and office 2007.  This program is still functioning on a similar setup (OS and Office) without issue.  The only difference is the make/model of PC.

I have tried multiple other Excel vi's and get no response.  This leads me to believe that it is an ActiveX issue, as I am not getting an error or anything.

So, my question is, can I "update" Activex to get this working, is there somplace to look to see what the issue is, or do I need to start finding a way to re-write the progam without this plugin?

Anay and all assistance would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,784 Views)

With Windows 7 my first thought would be security and permission problems.  I've run into that before.

Kelly Bersch
Certified LabVIEW Developer
Kudos are always welcome
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,782 Views)

What permissions would that be?  The account that I am using has "Administraor" privleges.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,774 Views)

I had a VI that worked on my developement machine but not on the lab machine.  Both had Win7 and LV2013.  Both accounts were Admins.  I requested IT look into it and they changed some settings, I don't know wht, that solved the problems.  Win7 has nice security but it really gets in the way sometimes.  There are times when you need to provide permission for a program to access certain files or folders or make chnages on the machine.  The dialogs for that don't always pop up when a program tries to do it, things just don't happen.  I'm not up on Win7 permissions like I have been on previous Windows versions so I'm not sure of the settings but that would be the first place I'd start looking.

Of course, I could be wrong about this but with what you're saying it looks to me like the most likely possibility.

Kelly Bersch
Certified LabVIEW Developer
Kudos are always welcome
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,764 Views)

If it is a new computer with a new install of Office, make sure to start Excel and let it fully startup (outside of Labview).  There are dialog boxes and activation boxes on a new install that may interfere with your program operating properly. 

aputman
------------------
Heads up! NI has moved LabVIEW to a mandatory SaaS subscription policy, along with a big price increase. Make your voice heard.
Message 5 of 6
(2,751 Views)
Also, did the version of Excel change? There have been many problems over the years caused by MS changing the Excel API in non compatible ways.

Mike ..

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,730 Views)