From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Excel_Save_Workbook error

Solved!
Go to solution

I am running this on a computer with windows 10, labview 2016(64-bit) and Microsoft Office 2016(32-bit).

When I add a "Save Report to File" initially everything was error free. When I attempted to run the vi, errors started getting reported. The original source of the error appears to be in "NI_ReportGenerationToolkit.lvlib:Excel_Save_Workbook.vi". The error indicates "Invoke Node: Contains unwired or bad terminal". Then when I try to close the subvi's all related to this, they ask me to save even though no changes have been made. I have tried reinstalling the toolkit to no avail. I have attached a screenshot of the simple example vi.

*edited I actually have office 32-bit

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 19
(8,568 Views)

First, never attach pictures of code -- attach the actual VI (or a VI Snippet).  If we open your VI, we can (a) test it, (b) edit it (and return the edited version to you), (c) examine it more closely (including seeing other cases if you have a Case Statement, or using the LabVIEW Help if there's a function we need to check).

Second, I notice you have nothing wired to the "Save to File" Report File input.  Could this be part of the problem?

Have you looked at the Examples that ship with LabVIEW?  A few years ago, I posted a Revised Example on the Forums.  If you search for Revised Example on the Forum Search Bar, it should be one of the first "hits", and should show you how to do this.

Bob Schor 

Message 2 of 19
(8,528 Views)

I thought that since the report generation toolkit must be paid for, we were not supposed to post those.

Wiring in a path to "save to file" input doesn't change the error.

I found your example, thanks. It has the same error when I try to run it.

I have another computer running labview 2015 and it can run your example just fine. When I compare the "Excel_Save_Workbook.vi" block diagrams between the computers I can find no differences.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 19
(8,519 Views)

@softxray wrote:

I thought that since the report generation toolkit must be paid for, we were not supposed to post those.

Nope, nothing wrong with posting code. 

Wiring in a path to "save to file" input doesn't change the error.

Suggests the Toolkit isn't properly installed (or you don't have the proper Version of the Toolkit).

I found your example, thanks. It has the same error when I try to run it.

See above. 

I have another computer running labview 2015 and it can run your example just fine. When I compare the "Excel_Save_Workbook.vi" block diagrams between the computers I can find no differences.

I think this proves my point -- there is something wrong with your installation.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 19
(8,517 Views)

So do you think I should completely uninstall labview and then reinstall it?

Reinstalling the toolkit did not work.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 19
(8,515 Views)

Uninstalled all labview products and installed labview 2016 professional development system. Opened up the excel demo, and the same error persists. Maybe there is a bug in the latest version of the toolkit?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 19
(8,498 Views)

For the 2015 system that it works on, is LabVIEW the 32 or 64 bit version?

-AK2DM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"It’s the questions that drive us.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 19
(8,488 Views)

I don't think there's a bug.  I also have LabVIEW 2016 installed (Windows 10 x64, LabVIEW 32-bit 2016 SP1).  I (just now) downloaded the Demo from the Forum (though I've also got it somewhere on this PC), double-clicked it to open it, ran it, and it finished (a few seconds).  I'm using 64-bit Office 2013.  I have no clue why you are getting errors here.

Bob Schor

P.S. -- I checked, and indeed, I have a BS Demo.xlsx file that contains two "Configuration" tables, a table of 3 channels of data, and a plot of that data.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 19
(8,487 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author softxray

So I don't know why it happened initialy but I did find a solution.

In the Excel_Save_Workbook vi, I copied, deleted and repasted the invoke node that had the "save as" method. I then rewired it, and everything worked.

Thank you for your help Bob, that example vi you wrote helped quite a bit.

BTW, I was using the 64 bit version of labview 2016. I tried using it with both 32 bit and 64 bit versions of office 2016.

What might have happened is my download file might have gotten corrupted, I used the same downloaded file to install and then reinstall labview.

Message 9 of 19
(8,479 Views)

Thank you!  I had same situation.  Copy and re-paste didn't do the fix, but I deleted the invoke node and replaced it with a new one, that worked.  As you've said, is machine-specific, we have 4 computers that use the same VI on a network, 3 had the error and one did not.  

Certification Engineer II
National Instruments

Certified LabVIEW Developer

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 19
(8,323 Views)