From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Example VI for reading Touchstone data files

Solved!
Go to solution

Can someone please suggest an example VI for reading a touchstone data file (A__S_params.s2p) for me as a starting point. I want to get the magnitude and phase data of S21 to design a filter. I have tried to use Touchstone Data Plugin with the (DataPlugins - ATML) project from the LabVIEW example finder to first convert Touchstone file to TDMS format but have not been successful. Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 15
(6,259 Views)

Sorry I forgot to attach the data file last time. Here it is.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 15
(6,252 Views)

Still no data file.  Seems to be a lot of that recently.  Anybody at NI monitoring?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 15
(6,239 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author kathar

Hi Kathar,

The links below might be helpful for you:

http://www.ni.com/example/28433/en/

http://www.ni.com/example/31284/en/

Regards,

AGJ

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 15
(6,203 Views)

A touchstone file is really just a tab delimited text file with some header info.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 15
(6,190 Views)

@billko wrote:

A touchstone file is really just a tab delimited text file with some header info.

Actually I've seen different flavors depending on the originator of the file. The Touchstone File Specification data line formatting rule just says that individual entries are separated by whitespace. HP-ADS separates the values with multiple space characters, the N5230A and C uses a single space character, the E5071C uses a single tab character. I usually replace multiple spaces or tabs with a single tab before processing the data.

Ben64

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 15
(6,184 Views)

@ben64 wrote:

@billko wrote:

Actually I've seen different flavors depending on the originator of the file. The Touchstone File Specification data line formatting rule just says that individual entries are separated by whitespace. HP-ADS separates the values with multiple space characters, the N5230A and C uses a single space character, the E5071C uses a single tab character. I usually replace multiple spaces or tabs with a single tab before processing the data.

Ben64

That's the truth.  I don't know why I said "tab" because I've seen different formats, too.  The point I wanted to make was that ultimeately it's just a parsable text file.  🙂

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 15
(6,166 Views)

I am grateful to all of you who have responded. I have downloaded the Touchstone Toolkit v1.00. Here are the instructions for installing the toolkit:

Touchstone Toolkit v1.00

Installation Instructions

1. Place the Touchstone Toolkit v1.00 and the errors folders in the C:\Program Files\National 

Instruments\LabVIEW 6.1\user.lib directory.

2. Restart LabVIEW to refresh palettes

3. Two new palettes will be added

Controls Palette- User Defined Controls sub palette : Touchstone Toolkit Palette

Functions Palette -User library sub palette: Touchstone Toolkit Palette

I have two questions:

1. Is there a more recent version of Touchstone toolkit? If so where can I find it from?

2. I am using LabVIEW 2013. In which folder I should place the above two folders so that two new palettes are added.

Thanks.

PS: I am having difficulty adding screenshots and files to these messages.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 15
(6,155 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author kathar

Put it in your corresponding user.lib folder.  That's really neat that you dound a toolkit!  It will probably work just fine.  🙂

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 15
(6,146 Views)

I have just placed both the folders in the user.lib folder and have restarted LabVIEW.  I can see both the palettes now with all the functions and controls. That should help solve my problem. Thanks to all of you.

Regards and best wishes,

Kathar

Message 10 of 15
(6,134 Views)