LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Event structures in older versions of labview?

Solved!
Go to solution
Solution
Accepted by Newton2this1

@GerdW wrote:

What about the 50$ Home edition of LabVIEW (2014?) available in the US?

That's good, but if you are a student LabVIEW is free for 6 months, and an NI employee (Sammy) said you can ask for extensions for as long as you are a student.

https://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-30610

https://decibel.ni.com/content/message/52954

Message 11 of 18
(1,562 Views)
Unfortunately, I am not a student.
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 18
(1,535 Views)
You said you were using the 6i student version. You don't legally have the right to use that, then. If you are working for some commercial outfit, you don't have the right to use the home version either. Maybe you need to find a more ethical employer.
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 18
(1,521 Views)
I WAS a student when I acquired my copy of LV 6i. I am currently unemployed also. Thx.
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 18
(1,508 Views)

Still, if you currently is not a student, then you are not allowed to use the student version. 

Be side that, you are lucky if LabVIEW 6i runs on windows 7, more than lucky if it runs on Windows 8. 

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 18
(1,434 Views)

@dkfire wrote:

Still, if you currently is not a student, then you are not allowed to use the student version. 

I'm not so sure this is true, can you link to a post by an NI employee stating this?  Today you can get 6 months free student license (if you are a student) for as long as you are a student.  If that's the case then why does NI also sell a student edition for $20?  Because the free version of student is only legit while you are a student.  But I suspect that the $20 student edition is so you can own your own license which never expires.

No one at NI has told me this, but if you aren't allowed to use the student edition unless you are a student, and you can get the student edition free while being a student, what good is the $20 version?

Also I can't find the link anymore, but I swear the definition of "being a student" was also a very nebulous thing at one point.  Now that there is an affordable home, maybe NI tightened up the requirements for the student edition.

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 18
(1,406 Views)

@James.M wrote:

Ah, you're only one release away from the event structure. That's too bad.

You're going to have to implement a Polling loop that continuously checks the user inputs. Make sure you add a Wait function to the loop (~100ms) because that will act as your chance for the user to make changes. You can use shift register(s) to keep the previous loop's values and compare to get a bunch of Value Change booleans. If you want a specific case for the specific events, then you can group all of your Value Changes in to an array and act upon the ones that are True via a Case Structure.

The Event Structure only pulls a single event per loop and has a queue of events to handle for following loops. You might encounter multiple value changes in a single loop if the user clicks fast enough, or you trigger value changes. To avoid losing the trailing events, you should probably have a For loop within the Polling loop that handles all True values. Either that, or have a consumer loop that handles all of your events.

James, I swear I'm not picking on you todayHeart

You can set the maximum number of events alowed in the event queue per event in the edit event dialog box.  Check box and int fields in the lower right side.

6.i didn't have a "Value (Signaling)" property- (a subject of some CLAD exam questions not that you suggested it)

Student editions could not use 6.i events.  From 7.0 or 7.1 through 2011 Student Edition could use but not edit event structures. 2012 and on Event Structures are available in "All Versions" of LabVIEW- at the time.  I haven't looked into the newer license options.

On to licensing options. (Not a lawyer! consult your Legal Dept!)

If you are not doing work towards earning a educational certificate you should not be using Student Edition.  And, in some cases (Like working on a student project with commercial investment) not even then!

The Home Edition is also a new option.  It is intended to enable fast "Proof of Concept" development or development for your sole non-comercial use.

LabVIEW Full and Professional are for comercial use and have a "Home Use License Agreement" clause attached. If your company owns a LabVIEW License you CAN install a copy on a "Home PC" for the limited use of aiding your employer (who paid for the license) such things would arguably enclude "Training"

NI is not totally opposed to negotiating "Exceptional" agreements for mutually beneficial reasons.  Youl'd better bring a justification better than "I can't afford it"  Go find some investors and buy a license in that case.  And Yes, until the moderators take this down, I did at one time have a LabVIEW license for exclusively engaging the LabVIEW Community (Forums and NI Sponsored events use only- LAVA was not encluded)  I'm not sure if such a deal could be negotiated in the future.  In Fact, The Home Edition would have been less costly.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 17 of 18
(1,387 Views)

@Hooovahh wrote:

@dkfire wrote:

I'm not so sure this is true, can you link to a post by an NI employee stating this?  Today you can get 6 months free student license (if you are a student) for as long as you are a student.  If that's the case then why does NI also sell a student edition for $20?  Because the free version of student is only legit while you are a student.  But I suspect that the $20 student edition is so you can own your own license which never expires.

No one at NI has told me this, but if you aren't allowed to use the student edition unless you are a student, and you can get the student edition free while being a student, what good is the $20 version?

Also I can't find the link anymore, but I swear the definition of "being a student" was also a very nebulous thing at one point.  Now that there is an affordable home, maybe NI tightened up the requirements for the student edition.

Newton2this1 purchased or received a permanent license when he was a student; it wouldn't make sense for him to uninstall it after he graduates. If he starts to use LabVIEW for a commerical application, that policy changes a bit. 

As long as he's using LabVIEW for personal use, his license is fine.

Message 18 of 18
(1,353 Views)