From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error while selecting VI in Desktop Execution Node

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

I'm trying to simulate my FPGA VIs using desktop execution node. I get error(as in attachment) every time i select any fpga vi. What's wrong?

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 18
(3,838 Views)

The error seems to be associated with using a variant data type incorrectly. Please refer to the following document when working with these data types: (http://www.ni.com/white-paper/4998/en). A variant may not be the best structure to use in FPGA code because it is resoruce intensive. What are you trying to achieve by using this data type? Best of luck!

Best Regards,

Roel F.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 18
(3,769 Views)

Thaks for your answer, Roel

I've never used variant data type in my FPGA VIs. For example, I attached the simplest VI i tried to select in Destktop Execution Node Configure Dialog but got the same error.

As I understood the error associated with nifpgaDEN_Dialog_DrawTreeFromTreeInfo.vi that is part of Desktop Execution Node software. So maybe I should reinstall something?

Additionly, after I pressed  Continue on Error Dialog, DEN Configure Dialog becomes inactive - see second attachment - five buttons are pressed but no reaction is present.

I hoped FPGA DEN would help me to debug my FPGA subVIs, but now I don't know what to do.

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 18
(3,752 Views)

Hi kostyuk.a

Can you let me know what OS you are using (32 or 64 bit also), which version of LabVIEW FPGA you are using, and which version of the RIO driver? This may be a bug depending on those factors.

Best Regards,

Roel F.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 18
(3,702 Views)

i got same results on 3 different PCs:

1. Windows XP + LabVIEW 2014(32b)

2. Windows 8.1(64b) + LabVIEW 2014(32 b) 

3. Windows 7 (64 b)  + LabVIEW 2014(32 b)

LabVIEW FPGA 2014

NI-RIO 14.0.1

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 18
(3,692 Views)

Thanks for the info! If this is occuring on multiple computers, it very well may be a bug. I just did a quick search of our bug reports and did not find anything regarding what you're seeing. I will try to reproduce the issue on my end.

I'd also like to know what FPGA target you are trying this for? Could you attach screenshots of your project?

Thanks

Daniel C.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 18
(3,644 Views)

Hello, Daniel

We use PXIe-7966R, screenshot is in attachment

Additionally I,ve attached screenshots of dialogs defore and after selecting a VI

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 18
(3,628 Views)

Hi kostyuk.a,

Does this same error occur for any VI you select, or just a specfic set of VIs? 

Best Regards,

Roel F.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 18
(3,584 Views)

Hi Roel,

The same error occurs for every VI from list of  FPGA Targets VIs from My project

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 18
(3,563 Views)

Hi kostyuk.a

Thank you for all of the information you have provided us. It seems like a bug that I will report to our software developers, and work with them to see if there is a workaround. 

Best Regards,

Roel F.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 18
(3,542 Views)