LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error "VISA: (Hex 0xBFFF0015) Timeout expired before operation completed".

Communicating via RS232 trying to read the status of a servo motor made by IAI America an error occurs from the VISA Test Panel in Measurement & Automation Explorer.  Error "VISA:  (Hex 0xBFFF0015) Timeout expired before operation completed".  This happens during the read function after writing an Ascii string command for the status on the controller.  I’ve tried using \n, \r, \0 termination characters but nothing seems to work.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

jefska

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(7,187 Views)
This is a common error. Double check your com settings (basic rate, parity, etc.), that the command is correct, and that you are using the correct type of cable. Try with a program such as putty, teraterm.

Attach the manual and the command you are sending.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(7,175 Views)

The command is a status inquiry command via ASCII 20n0000000000823.  Attached is the serial communications protocol document provided by the manufacturer.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(7,136 Views)

Are you sure you are sending the correct command?

The manual shows all of the bytes in hexadecimal with key bytes being STX (hex 02) and ETX (hex 03).  That means it should look like 02 when the string constant is showing hex display.  Those are control bytes in the ASCII character table and would not show up in normal display mode in a string control or constant.

So I don't think your statement "he command is a status inquiry command via ASCII 20n0000000000823" makes sense in that regard.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(7,128 Views)

I got it working by placing “\02” for STX and “\03” for ETX in the data string.  Thank you very much for your help!

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(7,113 Views)

You're welcome.

\02 and \03 means you are viewing in \codes mode.  That will work just fine.

But my message would be the solution to your problem and not your final thank you message.  You will need to unmark yours as the solution by going to the options menu to the upper right of your last message.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(7,103 Views)

That is correct.  I had to right click to display \ codes in my VI.  For the STX in hyperterminal I was using crtl+B and for the ETX crtl+C.  Thanks again!

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(7,095 Views)