LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error "'BTTrayCE' is not a valid Pocket PC Application" when installing Widcomm Bluetooth Stack for Windows Mobile

For a running project we moved from old HP PDAs to new HTC "Touch 2" smartphones. But unfortunately the bluetooth stack preinstalled on these devices isn't accepted by Labview Mobile applications, and the Widcomm stack in Labview is not compatible with this phone.

Does anyone know how to solve this issue? I know WM6.5 is officialy unsupported, but the choice in new hardware with older WM grows rather thin. And I know the BT stack should work with WM6.5 and this BT hardware (because it works on a Xperia with WM6.5)

I did the following procedure to try and get the program working:

Labview BT stack

1. Hard reset of device
  2. Turn on bluetooth, set to discoverable
  3. Via LV/Project Manager/ Windows Mobile 6 Device/ Install / "Support for Widcomm Bluetooth" install BT support on PDA, accept install on PDA.
  4. Soft reset PDA, after reset the message "'BTTrayCE' is not a valid Pocket PC Application" is shown, and it's not possible to turn on BT.
  5. By removing "BtCoreIf.dll" & "BtSdkCE30.dll" from the /Windows dir on the PDA, and soft reset, BT will turn on again.
  6. Start Labview application (StimCom CRE_PDA.exe)
  7. Select 'Search' in the connection VI
  8. StimCom CRE_PDA.exe will crash, and WM asks for error reporting

notes: method above installs Widcomm stack for Windows mobile version 3. The program is listed on the PDA as "NI Labview Pocket PC Bluetooth support 7.1". Uninstalling this program from the 'remove programs' will fail.

On the clean HTC image "BtSdkCE50.dll" and "BtSdkCE30.dll" are present in the Windows directory, so I assume that both v3 and v5 of the Widcomm stack are allready installed.

This leads to the conclusion that Widcomm v3 stack is needed, but the one provided with Labview is not compatible to this system, and the version present on the device is not compatible with Labview.

(v4 doesn't exist)

Step 1 till 3 are enough to get the Labview program running on a Sony Erricson Eperia with "Jack v5.0" WM6.5 firmware (the same Quallcomm BT hardware) and on a HTC Touch with a Dutch WM 6.0.

According to http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/372508B-01/lvpdagsm/pda_install_widcomm/  when both the "BtSdkCE30.dll" and "BtSdkCE50.dll" are already present, you must only copy LVBtw.dll into the Windows folder of the device. I tried that as well, but the program still crashed as soon as you try the bluetooth connection.

I also tried to copy  "BtCoreIf.dll" & "BtSdkCE30.dll" from the /Windows dir of a Xperia WM6.5 (Custom firmware "Jack v5.0" (International English) because that device also had WM6.5 and the program worked fine on that device. But on the HTC Touch 2 it gave the "'BTTrayCE' is not a valid Pocket PC Application" error.

Thanks in advance for your time

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,847 Views)

Dear Hobbit13,

I noticed some similar problems with using WM 6.5 and Bluetooth with Labview Mobile Module. You are correct that Windows mobile is officialy unsupported, and I can't say if it will be supported in the future. Some customers got arround this issue by using a virtual com port. I hope this will work for you,

best regards,

Martijn S
Applications Engineer
NI Netherlands
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(3,813 Views)

@ninlmartijn wrote:

Some customers got arround this issue by using a virtual com port.

Martijn: Thanks for your reply!

Using virtual com, and thus connecting to RS232 from the LV software via VISA will work, but it requires a major rewrite of the software, and makes autoconnecting to the correct devices troublesome. At least autoconnection in a way that works for both Windows XP and Windows Mobile is not easily available.

I'm still hoping for a way to fix the BT stack in this phone.

Cheers

Frodo

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,789 Views)