LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error code 7 after creating .exe

Hello...

I've finished creating a fairly large Labview program which runs fine in Labview itself, but when I converted it into an exe using the application builder, I got the following error when I tried to run it:

Error 7 occurred at New File in Open Config Data.vi->Read PPR Settings File.vi->TestProgram6.vi

Possible reason(s):
LabVIEW:  File not found. The file might have been moved or deleted, or the file path might be incorrectly formatted for the operating system. For example, use \ as path separators on Windows, : on Mac OS, and / on UNIX.
---
NI-488:  Non-existent board.

This error kept repeating as it tried to open all my Sub VI's until the whole thing stopped. Smiley Mad Smiley Sad
I've spent several hours browsing through old threads on the forums, but nothing I've tried has worked... Smiley Mad
So far I've tried:
Setting all the Sub VI's to be loaded dynamically in the application builder source files box
Trying the "Create small target file with library file" option
Opening the top level VI and selecting "Save All" before building
Making sure all the Sub VI's are saved in the same directory as the top level VI,
Changing the directory to one close to the root directory
Kicking the desk
I also tried to do a mass compile, but on the status tab it said something about it being unsuccessful because the VI's were open
- and I couldnt work out how to close them without closing everything. Smiley Indifferent

Is there something I've missed?? (this is my first big labview application, and the first time I've used the app builder, except on a very simple prog with no sub vi's)

thanks! Tim
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,053 Views)

There is one critical thing you missed - when building the application, the application builder collects all the VIs into a single file, like an LLB. And like an LLB, this file serves as a directory, so if your paths are relative, you need to do another strip path, because the path will now be c:\...\foo.exe\bar.vi. You can tell you are running an EXE by using the Application>>Kind property.

As a way to troubleshoot things like this, you should always create indicators for inputs you feed into functions which can generate errors. That way, you can know what the function got, and, potentially, what caused the error.

To learn more about LabVIEW, I suggest you try searching this site and google for LabVIEW tutorials. Here and here are a couple you can start with. You can also contact your local NI office and join one of their courses.
In addition, I suggest you read the LabVIEW style guide and the LabVIEW user manual (Help>>Search the LabVIEW Bookshelf).

P.S.
I hope your desk feels OK.

(3,035 Views)
Ok!
I'll try that when I come back after the weekend, and my desk has recovered

thanks! Smiley Very Happy

Tim
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,031 Views)
If you wish, OpenG have many useful VIs, including one which returns the path of the directory the VI is in.

(3,025 Views)