LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error: This installer needs access to "My Documents"

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi ThiCop, I am running into the same issue here, if you can bring it up as a CAR it would be much appreciated.   Our user base onsite (250+ people) is migrating piecemeal to Win7-64 and this is cropping up often.  Our 'My Documents' is mapped to a network drive by our IT policy.  The workaround of having IT participate in each install is possible, but quite difficult 😄 

I am compiling and making installers in LV 2013, so it seems to not be Labview version issue - They install just fine on XP and Vista machines, so it is likely the Windows 7-64b installer as someone mentioned in the thread. 

thx, Brian

0 Kudos
Message 21 of 50
(3,448 Views)

I've developed a fix for this issue...

1. regedit

2. Edit --> Find Next

3. Type: My Documents and search

4. HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Explorer \ User Shell Folders

5. Change From: \\servername\username\My Documents

6. Change To: %USERPROFILE%\My Documents

Hope this helps!

Message 22 of 50
(3,444 Views)

Well, meanwhile it is august 2014 and the problem is still there!

I see it happen when installing a built app on a windows7 system with its "My Documents" folder redirected to a network drive.

This is LabVIEW2013SP1

Running the installer as Administrator does not help.

My customer is complaining.

Please give us a solution!

Regards,

Paul Rijkers

(Carya Automatisering, Netherlands)

0 Kudos
Message 23 of 50
(3,283 Views)

Did you try my previous post? If you're not tech savvy I do not recommend doing that.

Another option is to login as the local administrator account and install. No folder redirection is applied to local users so it will not effect the registry path to the installer.

0 Kudos
Message 24 of 50
(3,279 Views)

Editing the registry is not an option since the customer has to be able to do the install himself and I can't (and dont't want)  force him to perform reg-edits.

On the computer on which I am able to reproduce the problem my account is the administrator account but it shows the same problem even when I run the installer as Administrator (what I am already).

Paul

0 Kudos
Message 25 of 50
(3,272 Views)

Hello Paul,

My apologies for not updating you earlier on.

It seems like I didn't receive any forum updates concerning this thread since my latest question.

CAR 448899 was created concerning this in a parallel thread on the Idea Exchange section of the forum:

http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW-Idea-Exchange/Make-it-possible-to-change-the-folder-for-My-Documents...

Do any of  you have the possibility to test this with NI LabVIEW 2014?

Kind Regards,
Thierry C - CLA, CTA - Senior R&D Engineer (Former Support Engineer) - National Instruments
If someone helped you, let them know. Mark as solved and/or give a kudo. 😉
0 Kudos
Message 26 of 50
(3,242 Views)

Thierry,

Unfortunately I don't have LV2014 yet.

Besides that I'm hoping for a solution in LV2013

Regards,

Paul

0 Kudos
Message 27 of 50
(3,236 Views)

Hello Paul,

Thanks for the reply!

Some things that we have to verify are:

1)I know that changing the registry will not be an "ok" work-around/solution.

However, doing the registry change once (for one test) will allow you to verify that you are experiencing the same issue.

2) Is your network drive accessible at the moment of the LabVIEW Installation?

3) You mentioned earlier on that you have admin rights on the pc itself.

Does running the installer with "IT Admin rights for the Domain" let it install properly?
Or in other words:
Can an IT Admin of your customer's company install it with his own credentials?

Contacting one of my colleagues via the phone or e-mail Support channels might speed up the troubleshooting process. (via ni.com/ask)

Do you have an ongoig Service Request? 

Thanks in advance for your tests!

Kind Regards,
Thierry C - CLA, CTA - Senior R&D Engineer (Former Support Engineer) - National Instruments
If someone helped you, let them know. Mark as solved and/or give a kudo. 😉
0 Kudos
Message 28 of 50
(3,220 Views)

"On the computer on which I am able to reproduce the problem my account is the administrator account but it shows the same problem even when I run the installer as Administrator (what I am already)."

Is your account a domain account? When running the installer as yourself (domain account) it's not the same as actually logging into the system as a local administrator and performing the install.

0 Kudos
Message 29 of 50
(3,216 Views)

Hi Thierry,

1) Yes changing the registry in such a way that "My Documents" is located on a local disk does help: installing is possible after that.

2) of course I checked that; no problems with the mapped drive.

3) I don't see a possibility to run the installer with "IT Admin rights for the Domain"; The only thing I can do is "Run as Administartor". May be you think about a special netword configuratien, but that's not the case here. It's a normal local installed Windows7 on which a networdk drive has been mapped and where the folder "My documents" is redirected to that networkdrive.

I contacted NI-Netherlands about this problem and have an ongoing Service Request (#1444306). Their mr. Henk Talsma is investigating the case.

Regards,

Paul Rijkers

0 Kudos
Message 30 of 50
(3,200 Views)