cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error Code -229771

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

I have been dealing with this problem with NI Technical Support, but I am not getting anywhere.

I have searched and tried all the recommendations in the search results.  Here is my original question to NI...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am experiencing the error discussed here...

http://forums.ni.com/t5/Multifunction-DAQ/mig-software/m-p/1046312?requireLogin=

error -229771  DAQmx Create Channel (AI-Voltage-Basic) Internal software error in MIG software.

That is a run-time error, of course.  But the following symptom is present even before running.  If trying to open any DAQmx VI, or any VI containing a DAQmx VI, the front panel opens as a blank white panel.  In this state it can be closed, but if the VI is manipulated in any way, all or some of the front panel will appear, but the VI cannot then be closed.  VI is (Not Responding) and LabVIEW hangs and has to be shut down. I made the investigations noted in the above discussion...

Service mxssvr is running

Process nixms.exe is not running

NOTE:  This error only occurs while running from Project Explorer.  I
can run the same main VI outside of the Project Explorer, and no symptoms
are present, and no error occurs.

I am using Windows Vista, LabVIEW 2009 SP1, NI-DAQmx 9.0.2, HP laptop with
MXI-4 interface to chassis PXIe-1073, DAQ hardware NI PXIe-6366.

Before I uninstall and re-install NI-DAQmx as a last resort, I am hoping this is something someone has come across before.
Note also that this appeared for no apparent reason.  Last night I was testing the application (development mode, not an executable) with no problems; today I resumed testing and got this error on the first execution.  No LabVIEW or DAQ activity between the two events.

Thank You,

RonC

NI Software :

LabVIEW  version 2009 SP1

NI Hardware :   Multifunction DAQ (and NI ELVIS) device PXIE-6366
Driver Version : NI-DAQmx 9.0.2

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The first response recommended an upgrade to NI DAQmx 9.2, which I have done -- this did not help.

The next response recommended I follow an (obsolete) clean uninstall/reinstall procedure, which I attempted. That left me with a non-working system, so then I manually removed everything (files and registry cleanup) to the best of my ability, and re-installed LV 2009.  Despite the removal the installer 'thought' LV was already installed and skipped the install.  Windows does not show any National Instruments software in the Programs and Features (Add/Reomev Programs), so I have (several times now) used the installer program to remove the installation, then re-install.

When I do this, LV thinks it is corrupted, and will not load.  But, it cannot be removed either (does not appear in Add/Remove list).  Also, there is no NIUninstall directory in the \Shared\ folder.

Now I have two problems.   The original one (maybe) and a corrupted install.

Please help me -- I am awaiting further communication from LV Technical Support, but it is slow in coming.

Thank You,

RonC

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 18
(7,080 Views)

See this thread for removal of the NI registry entries that you will need to change. There is a procedure about half way down that tells you exactly what to do.

http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/Problem-with-Installation-8-6/m-p/1059975#M470568

Tim
GHSP
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 18
(7,069 Views)

Thank You -- I will give that a try.

Cheers, RonC

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 18
(7,060 Views)

OK thanks, I had a look at that procedure; it is the same one that I was given by NI.  It is good, in that it describes the general steps that are involved, but it is only covers up to XP I think.  Vista is generally the same, but I think maybe there are some other steps I am not aware of.  And the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility that is described in there is no longer supported by, or available from, Microsoft.  So, what I did was follow all the steps in there, and in addition I had to manually remove all the registry keys. This was very tedious in Vista, I am sure there is an easier way if I knew how to do it.  I then checked for all services that were still present, and first disabled, then removed those.  I was was to eventually remove all of the Program Files\National Instruments, and Program Data\National Instruments folders.  This took all of one morning.  Then, I reinstalled LabVIEW 2009 SP1 and DAQmx 9.2.  But, LV didn't actually install, because the installer thought it was already there.  Clearly I have missed a database file somewhere.  I removed the installation using the installer, and reinstalled LV.

Now, on startup of LV, I get a dialog "The installation of this application may be corrupt. Use Add or Remove Programs in the Windows Control Panel to attempt to repair this program."

But, I cannot uninstall using the Control Panel because in Add and Remove Programs (actually Programs and Features in Vista) there are no National Instruments entries.  And there is no uninstall folder in Program FIles\...\Shared\ folder.  The only way I can find to uninstall LabVIEW is to do a custom install, then select Remove This Feature.  I have tried that several times -- the result is the same.

For DAQmx, I upgraded to 9.2 using a download -- and that one has MAX 4.7.  When I run the install DVD, it refuses to install drivers because it thinks there are newer ones installed, but I uninstalled them. So, I have no DAQ driver or MAX either.

I need to find the file that is telling the installer that there is stuff installed, even after I have removed it, I think, to get rid of the corrupted install.

RonC

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 18
(7,055 Views)

Here is another link with a program that is design to remove LabVIEW.  I can not tell you that I ever ran it but it may help.

http://forums.ni.com/t5/Multifunction-DAQ/i-am-looking-for-MSI-Blast-a-utility-to-remove-NI-DAQ-driv...

Tim
GHSP
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 18
(7,035 Views)

aeastet, thank you for the additional help.  I had stumbled across that zip file, but I was not clear on its use, so you link with instructions is very helpful.  With the help of Revo Uninstaller, I was able to clean enough off to get what appears to be a successful re-install of LV 2009 SP1 and NI DAQmx 9.2.

This must have been successful, because my original problem has returned! This is a good thing I guess, maybe that is telling the initial problem was not a corrupted LabVIEW, but something else. I will keep working at it.

The simplest example of a symptom is to create new blank VI, drop  a DAQmx function on there, e.g. DAQmx Create Channel, then open the DAQmx VI.  The front panel is initially blank (white) then takes a long time to populate, more than one minute.  This is outside Project Explorer.  Using Project Explorer, the same test will result in LabVIEW "Not Responding'.

RonC

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 18
(7,024 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author RonC

Hi Ron, I had the same "Error 229771 - Error occurred in MIG Software" when using DAQmx 9.0.2 and LabView 2009. NI Tech support walked me through all of the DAQmx Corruption Correction procedures and we reloaded LabView 2009 and all DAQmx drivers. None of this corrected the problem. One of the guys in NI R&D suggested that antivirus software may be the problem. I removed all of my McAfee Security Center software and the DAQmx 229771 Error message stopped and my LV 2009 application resumed normal operation.

If you go to Microsoft.com you can download Microsoft Security Essentials for free. This antivirus software is compatible with LabView DAQmx.

http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/default.aspx

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 18
(6,904 Views)

Hey, this is great.  Thanks for the tip.  NI had been suspecting a bad interaction with my antivirus software (in my case Norton 360) as a possible cause. I have completely rebuilt my system, from a drive reformat, only to have the problem return.  My next step was to repeat that procedure, but this time to not reinstall Norton 360 before LabVIEW.  But of course your solution makes more sense as a first step.  That is, simply uninstall Norton 260 and see if the problem goes away.

In the meantime, I stumbled on a workaround.  When I first start LabVIEW after a cold boot, I open a small test VI I created, which contains only the DAQmx Create (Voltage) Channel function.  I open that VI, then wait 5 minutes.  During that time, the front panel remains blank.  Then I close the VI, and re-open it.  At this point everything is normal, and I can run correctly, even inside Project Explorer.  I can run this way for several days, even putting the computer in sleep mode, but if I shut down, then I have to repeat the procedure.

Again, thanks for the tip, I really appreciate it.

RonC

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 18
(6,896 Views)

@LeBas

I have done as you suggested, and it appears the problem has been fixed. There is one remaining bit of unusual behavior, nothing that seems to affect my needs, but I thought I should mention it anyway...

Using a test project and simple VI containing only a DAQmx Create (Voltage) Channel function, if I open the project, the project will want to be saved (reason: 'an attribute of the project was changed') even though nothing was actually changed.  If I save the project, close it and re-open, no save is requested.  But, if I then run the test VI, and save the project, the next time I open it it will want to be saved again.  Also, when I close the project, when I save has been indicated, this closes LabVIEW completely, which then has to be re-started.
So, thank you again for your suggestion; I am calling this one fixed.  RonC
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 18
(6,862 Views)

I got the same error with DAQmx version 9.3 on LV2010 and microsoft essential antivirus. NI has not resolved this issue yet.

-ipc

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 18
(6,406 Views)