LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error Code 0xBFFF0011 Manual TCPIP Connect

Hi All,

I am trying to connect from a laptop to a PXIe-1065 chassis over TCPIP. I can ping the chassis, and the chassis can ping the laptop. In addition I can run test programs to connect the two machines over the network without any issue.

Here's the problem:

I try to create a new network device in MAX on the Laptop for the PXIe chassis by using the manual setup:

TCPIP0::192.168.1.102::100::SOCKET

and when I hit the validate button it comes back with :

Could not open a VISA session to "TCPIP0::192.168.1.102::100::SOCKET

VISA error code 0xBFFF0011 

Insufficient location information or the device or resource is not present in the system.

The attached image shows both the setup and the error.

I know I can successfully connect these two machines using standard TCPIP calls, I just can't seem to do it with VISA (which I need). 

Both machines are running VISA 4.6. The laptop has MAX 4.6.1 and the PXI chassis MAX version 4.6.2. In addition the laptop runs Windows Vista Business, and the embedded controller in the chassis is running Windows XP - both 32 bit.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Regards,

AA

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 15
(6,943 Views)

Hi AA,

The Create New TCP/IP Resource tool that you are using in Measurement and Automation Explorer is actually intended for use with instruments that communicate through an ethernet connection.  It is not intended to connect to another Windows based system.  However, what is your end goal in connecting the two systems through TCP/IP? 

Ryan T
National Instruments
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 15
(6,912 Views)

Hi,

I encounter the same error  0xBFFF0011 and same message when I try to locate a magnet power supply over Ethernet using Measurement and automation explorer. I am able to ping the instrument. However the measurement and automation explorer is unable to locate the instrument. For this reason when I try to initialize the instrument I also see an error Err(63). 

My operating system is windows 7 and  laview version is labview 2009 Fall. The magnet power supply has simple syntax, however because of this problem, I unable to communicate with the instrument. I use a crossover Ethernet cable and configured my laptop to the same subnet mask. When I ping the instruments, it responds properly but the Measurement and automation explorer is unable to locate it.

Any help will be appreciated. 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 15
(6,499 Views)

Venkky,

What is your specific power supply? Have you installed the correct device drivers? You can check our website to see if we have drivers at www.ni.com/idnet.

Jordan

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 15
(6,477 Views)

The driver is not available. The power supply is from caylar. But thanks, I could figure out the solution. It is not always necessary that the measurement and automation explorer is able to locate the instrument.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 15
(6,468 Views)

Hello,

I am trying to open the VISA test panel in Measurement and Automation Explorer to read the output of a target board from Texas Instruments (ez430-RF2500). The board connects to the computer via USB, and the connection is read as a virtual COM port connection. I had early success in extracted the board's output in the VISA test panel. However, now I am getting the following error message:

Error opening resource:
ASRL3::INSTR

VISA: (Hex 0xBFFF0011) Insufficient location information or the device or resource is not present in the system.

The code compiler I am using can locate it, and the device shows up under the Ports section of the Windows Device Manager, so I know that the Flash Emulator is working properly, which leads me to believe that the disconnect happens in MAX. I am using a Windows 8 laptop. Can anyone suggest a possible remedy, or at least a direction to troubleshoot? I've exhausted hours on this Smiley Mad . This is my first project with LabView, so please be explicit with any instructions or terminology. Thanks! Smiley Happy

-Zack

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 15
(5,957 Views)

Hi Zack,

I could use a little more information.  Does the device appear in MAX at all?  What versions of MAX and VISA are you using - are they up to date?  From what I'm seeing researching this, it seems like there's a good chance it has something to do with a firewall, or possibly the drivers from another device interfering.  Have you tried shutting down your firewall and/or uninstalling any similar drivers from your computer? 

Here is a forum thread I found with some information about this, where I got some of my info: http://forums.ni.com/t5/Instrument-Control-GPIB-Serial/VISA-0xBFFF0011-insufficient-location-informa...

Julian R.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 15
(5,936 Views)

I am not a computer savvy person, I wouldn't know where to start as far as messing with the firewall, or which drivers I should uninstall without disabling the functionality of the device. Can you be more explicit?

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 15
(5,926 Views)

If you're talking about deleting drivers within MAX, the only one I've downloaded is NI-Serial for this project. The only other driver I've installed for this device is the one for the Flash Emulator Tool that enables the virtual COM port capability. Unless there are some defaults that come with MAX that I should remove or some drivers that come default on the computer, I don't know where to look or what to remove. 

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 15
(5,922 Views)

Zack,

I've been thinking about it more, and I'm guessing it's probably not a firewall issue, since you're not connecting to it over a network.  My first thought is that it could be the TI drivers somehow interfering with the NI drivers.  First things first, we should make sure your drivers are up-to-date.  If you could go into NI MAX and expand the "Software" tab, it will show you all the drivers you have installed.  Make sure that "NI-Serial 4.0" and "NI-Visa 5.4" are in there, and updated.  If they're not, you can dowload them from ni.com/downloads.

If these are up to date, then I would guess that it has something to do with the way the NI drivers are working with the TI drivers.  But let's cross that bridge when we get to it.  If this is the case, feel free to also send me more information about your application and what you're using this TI board for.

Julian R.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 15
(5,907 Views)