LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error 85: The input string does not contain data in the expected format

Hello,

No one answered me in French forum so I am trying with this question here. The problem come from a VI, that I have download with GPD-2303 driver.It occurs when I want  to execute the programme, and it show me the error is in the "Read Setting". With that error I don't have the good datas in Output...

- My VI

-Picture of error message

- Read Setting.VI that I use, which probably make the error.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 18
(7,362 Views)

Do you know what format the data coming out of GPD-3303 read.vi actually is?

The error you are getting is saying that the data coming out is not formatted to "%.;%f".

Most likely you are getting null out of your read function. The other possibility is the read data starts with a separator or non-numeric character.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 18
(7,350 Views)

No, I don't know how to know the format of datas that are coming, I don't see it in properties, it's not my VI and I am a beginner on LabView...

Yes, in the VI at start I get "%.;%g" but it was making the same problem. Yes that's litterally it, it takes the last datas that I have injected with another version, and I can't change the Voltage and Current actually with my version 2.5...

How can I know the data that are coming out?

- Here is a test with format "%.;%g", It say that I have the same error, I can't change the Voltage / Current and it say that the read buffer is invalid...

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 18
(7,341 Views)

Read the LabVIEW help about debugging. Set a probe down on the output of your read function and set breakpoints. You can also use the Retain Wire Values button and Highlight Execution to see what your read data looks like.

Don't worry about your Scan from String function. That part looks like it's working correctly. I'm fairly certain your issue lies with the data you are reading.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 18
(7,336 Views)

Use a probe or an indicator on the wires coming out of the Read VIs.  Then we will know what the string is that is causing the error.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 18
(7,334 Views)

That's what I get when I use probe on wires coming in the Write VIs and coming in the Read VIs. The problem is there "Invalid Character" when I set VSET1 (Channel 1) it don't communicate the informations.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 18
(7,323 Views)

Hi Robin,

so your device answers with "Invalid Character" instead of expected voltage values? And you wonder, why ScanFromString throws an error?

- Read the manual of your device to know the correct commands. You will also find explanations for most error messages in the manual (or atleast you should)…

- Learn LabVIEW to handle errors programmatically…

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 18
(7,311 Views)

To be fair, it looks like the code is from a third party driver and not the OP's.

Error handling in the driver itself is poor.

According to the Manual, "VSET1?" is a valid command so there's some other weirdness with the power supply.

Does the Manufacturer Supplied SW work?

Can you get the Power supply to respond correctly using a terminal program such as Hyperterminal or puTTy? 

Supply manual is here.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 18
(7,285 Views)

Hello GerdW,

I know why it throws an error, I just don't know how to solve it...

- These are the commands that were used in the example and gave with the driver, I am only using it and it throws me an error.

- I can't really "Learn Labview" if I have only 2 months before I end my internship, no one use Labview in my company. I am alone on this project so sometimes I can solve errors, but this is not because "I have an error" that I am posting, the reason is that I don't know how to solve it...

Best regards,

Robin.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 18
(7,298 Views)

You actually can learn LabVIEW in 2 months. Internships are perfect for that.

Sucks that no-one at your company uses it though so your only mentorship might be through these forums.

Anyways, the third party driver does a poor job of error handling and according to the manual, your commands are formatted correctly.

Does the third party provided software work with the supply? Can you communicate with the power supply with terminal programs such as Hyperterminal or puTTy and take LabVIEW out of the equation for debugging purposes?

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 18
(7,294 Views)