From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error 7 with Report Generation Toolkit

Solved!
Go to solution

First question:  What Version of LabVIEW are you using?

I'm using LabVIEW 2013

Second question:  What do you want to write to Excel? 

Data to be writen in Excel sheet will be : Operator Name, Data, Time, Humidity, pressure. Beside Temperature readings from the 3 simulated VIs.

An Excel Sheet is attached that show the result.

Third question:  Are you writing to a new (unique) Excel file, or adding to an existing one?

I'm using an Excel Tempelate and every time i generate a report, a new copy from that template will be generated with new data appended to it.

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 17
(760 Views)

ahmelsayed wrote:

I'm using an Excel Tempelate and every time i generate a report, a new copy from that template will be generated with new data appended to it. 

When I started trying to use the Report Generation Toolkit to interact with Excel, I found the concept of a "Template" confusing (and I think it might have also "confused" you).  I've looked at your Demo Excel Worksheet, and think I understand what you want to do.  See if this is correct:

"Every time I generate a Report, I want a new Excel file, with its own (unique) file name, that contains a header (Date, Time, etc.), a set of data (a 2-D array of time and temperature readings), and a Graph of the data."

[I put the word "unique" in the specification, since if you write out a second Excel file with the same file name, it would, in principle, overwrite the first one].

If this idea is correct, then it will be much easier to think about the problem by simply abandoning the idea of a "Template" (an existing Excel file that somehow "looks like" the output you want) and just create the Excel file "from the beginning", which is easy to do with the new Toolkit.  I'll try to post an example shortly.

BS

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 17
(742 Views)

I'm glad to hear the problem was solved. Please mark the correct asnwer as the solution, or write a new message that explains your steps to solve the problem and mark it as the solution. This helps other people with the same problem.

Additionally, there is a KnowledgeBase article that discusses this error. Here is the link: Error 7 When Running an Application Using VIs from Report Generation Toolkit for MS Office

Taylor B.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 17
(728 Views)

"Every time I generate a Report, I want a new Excel file, with its own (unique) file name, that contains a header (Date, Time, etc.), a set of data (a 2-D array of time and temperature readings), and a Graph of the data."

[I put the word "unique" in the specification, since if you write out a second Excel file with the same file name, it would, in principle, overwrite the first one].

hello Bob,

Yes, That's Exactly what I want to do 🙂

I'm trying to attach the project in .zip format but it refused to be uploaded "The contents of the attachment doesn't match its file type."

Best Regards,

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 17
(707 Views)

Hello taylor,

Like Bob said it was an error in the way the path to the Excel Template is build.

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 17
(704 Views)

@ahmelsayed wrote:

Hello taylor,

Like Bob said it was an error in the way the path to the Excel Template is build.

What Taylor was telling you was to go to the Reply that you think is the "Solution" to your question and click on the "Accept as Solution" button.  That helps readers "find the solution" and also serves as a mini-reward to the person helping you.

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 17
(697 Views)

Ahmel,

I discovered that the Example you were using was the one included in LabVIEW 2013, which (in my opinion) does not illustrate the best parts of the Excel Report Generation Tools.  I'm posting a "Revised" demo on the Discussion Group -- it basically does the same thing, but uses the Excel Easy Table function, which is much more "intuitive" (in my opinion).

I just posted it, so you should be able to find it by searching for posts that are near (in time) to this Reply.  Hope it helps you in using Excel with LabVIEW.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 17
(691 Views)