From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error -2147418113 while initialize CI 4500Ls AC Power Source

I've been trying to get LabVIEW to work with CI 4500Ls. I installed the driver, and tried to run it. I got error -2147418113 "Catastrophic failure" while initializing. Does anyone have any idea what's going on?

I've googled, and got different answers for different situations, so I'm really confused. I'm relatively new to LabVIEW.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(2,898 Views)
What sort of physical connection?

As you saw from the NI driver page, it is not supported. Have you tried the ametek support?
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(2,885 Views)

I use RS232 cable connected to a serial to USB converter.

The driver was downloaded from Ametek website.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(2,878 Views)
Is the com port visible in MAX? I don't think I've ever seen a catastrophic failure but I would suspect the Windows driver for the converter. At what point do you get the error? Can you communicate with MAX or program such as putty?

I know where you got the driver. That is why I suggested contacting ametek
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(2,873 Views)

I tried the USB port on the CI, but still got the same error.

I don't know what MAX is. I tried PuTTy, but it doesn't seem to have any response.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(2,862 Views)
What is CI?

MAX is Measurement and Automation Explorer. It is on your desktop and it is a utility program installed with NI hardware drivers such as NI-VISA. If the serial converter is correctly installed, you will see a com port listed under Hardware.

Putty not working is a bad sign, assuming you sent the correct command. If you did, check the status of the serial port driver in Windows device manager. At this point, it does not sound like a problem with any NI hardware or software.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(2,854 Views)

CI = California Instruments, the AC power source I'm trying to control. It has both RS232 and USB interface.

The CI appears in the device manager without error when connecting through either RS232 or USB. The device appears as a COM connection.

I'm not familiar with putty. I just set the COM port on putty and click Connect, hoping it would connect correctly, but it only opens a command windows that doesn't take any input from me.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(2,845 Views)
You need to study the programming manual. There should be command *IDN? that you can use to to test actual communication. A connect does nothing.

Please use MAX to check if the port is listed. Windows device manager does not say anything being useable in LabVIEW. And please provide the version of VISA that you installed.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(2,839 Views)