LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error 2146827284 in Report generation toolbox

I am acquiring continuous data at 1000Hz and it runs fine till around 65 seconds and it generates report with data till that time but as soon as I run the vi above 65 seconds it gives me an error ( pic attached) as soon as I press the stop button. I am not sure why that happens. I am using 2010 excel to generate the report. I have attached the pic and the actual vi. Kindly help.

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(3,563 Views)

What is your loop rate? I guess it is excel worksheet size limit (1,048,576 rows by 16,384 columns😞

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Excel-specifications-and-limits-1672b34d-7043-467e-8e27-269...

You can transpose tables

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(3,546 Views)

The .xls file has a max number of rows of 65536. You might be bumping right up against that at 65 seconds if each data point is a row.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(3,544 Views)

When I run the express report VI, it opens up Excel in "compatibility mode", which tells me that it is using the older file format (.xls). You can try using the regular report generation VIs with a .xlsx file, or write to a .csv file and graph the data later.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(3,538 Views)

loop Rate is 1000Hz. I get around 65000 data points in 65 secs. What is a regular report generation VI?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(3,524 Views)

By regular I mean not using the Express VIs. You will learn LabVIEW much more quickly if you try to stay away from Express VIs.

RGT VI.png

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(3,519 Views)

so i tried this but it gave me an error saying that the graph in this can only contain 4000 points. I dont know if that excel based graph will work.. I need a graph along with the data in the report

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(3,514 Views)

What I prefer to do is to have the graphing done automatically in Excel. In order to do this, you'll need to have a template Excel sheet. I've attached an example for you. Unzip it into a folder, then open the Data2Excel.vi. You can change the number of iterations on the For Loop to determine the number of data points. It works with 100k points, but it takes a while. 

There are some more questions for your to consider. Do you really need a graph of 65000+ points? Could you do some averaging in your code to bring it down to a reasonable number? Your monitor probably only has about 2000 pixels, so Excel is already doing some averaging to display the graph to you, might as well make it take up less space on the hard drive.

Even if you can write a large number of points to Excel, that means all that data has to be in memory while your LabVIEW program runs. If you start getting slow down or memory errors, it will be time to consider dumping a certain number of points (maybe 1k, maybe 10k) to a csv file periodically.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(3,491 Views)

The number of data points depends on how much time the code runs for.. it can be more than 65k or less than that..I cant compromise by eliminating data. also I have few questions

1) What if I want to display more than one channel of data. Right now its displaying pressure? I also want to display the flowrate, how can I add that channel of data in the same file?

2) If I want to run the code again n again it will overwrite the same file, I want to create different files. How do I do that?

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(3,477 Views)

The number of data points depends on how much time the code runs for.. it can be more than 65k or less than that..I cant compromise by eliminating data.

Well, every measurement has some requirements. If your requirements are to take 1000 datapoints per second, then you have to stick to it. If not, then you may have the opportunity to be smart with how you store and visualize the data.

1) What if I want to display more than one channel of data. Right now its displaying pressure? I also want to display the flowrate, how can I add that channel of data in the same file?

You can just expand the "Build Array" node where you build all your data together. In the Report Template sheet you can add an extra column.

2) If I want to run the code again n again it will overwrite the same file, I want to create different files. How do I do that?

You change the filename 😄 How you choose to do that is up to you and will depend on what parameter you are changing. If the part is changing, then include that in the filename, if everything stays the same and you are just running the test again then I like to use a timestamp.

By the way, you can mark solutions and give kudos to tell people thank you and let others now that your issue is resolved!

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(3,467 Views)