From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error -1073807252 occurred at VISA Read

This is the error message:  VISA:  (Hex 0xBFFF006C) An overrun error occurred during transfer. A character was not read from the hardware before the next character arrived.

I am using Labview 2015. I have a simple device with sensors on a pcb. i am connected via serial port and have a basic VISA vi set up to configure the port and read the data. I have attached the vi. However I keep getting the error above and am finding it very hard to troubleshoot, especially given that I am a labview newbie. Intially a few lines of data do come into my read buffer but then the overrun occurs. I have checked all port parameters and am satisfied that they match the parameters of the incoming data. I see a lot of suggestions on other posts about increasing buffer size and/or use a time delay after visa serial etc. The problem is I have no idea how to implement them and have spent days getting nowhere fast. Help would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(3,847 Views)

Is your device sending data continuously?

You can check the buffer size of your serial port, but unless you have very strange hardware or modified the buffer size somewhere else, the buffer should be large enough.

I'm always very suspicious of any program that uses the "Bytes at Port" function.  What does the data look like you are receiving?  You have the termination character enabled as default.  So if your device is sending a termination character, you should just read a large number of bytes and you'll receive a complete message at a time.

Better serial port protocols will use a command/response where you write a command to the device to tell it to send data, and only then does it return data.  That way nothing is being sent until you are ready to read it.

I see you have XON/XOFF flow control set up.  It is very rare to see that nowadays.  Are you sure your device uses that also?  I can see how incorrect flow control settings could mess up the buffer.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(3,836 Views)