LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error -1073807202 in vi that used to work

Hello,

Recently I built a VI combining the measurements from two instruments. Now I only need one of them, so yesterday I made a copy of the VI and removed everything referring to the second instrument from that. The VI still worked properly. However, when I tried to run it again today, I suddenly got a message saying "Error -1073807202 occurred at VISA Open". I can't think of anything I changed since yesterday, except switching the computer off overnight. Does anybody know what to do? Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 18
(3,112 Views)

sounds like you've lost some dependencies.

i would start again with the old VI and use the diagram disable structure to "remove" step by step, and only afterwards really remove stuff

good luck

If Tetris has taught me anything, it's errors pile up and accomplishments disappear.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 18
(3,097 Views)

I just tried this but it didn’t help. By the way, when I try to run the old VI, I get the same error twice (for both instruments, even though the second one isn’t connected to the PC anymore).

I also tried downloading the instrument drivers again, which I suppose is similar to starting again, but the same thing happens.

Now that I think about it, I do recall that LabView asked me to save changes to some subVIs (because they were recompiled or something) but I just confirmed that without paying much attention. Could this be the problem?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 18
(3,076 Views)

can you make sure that you can connect to your device outside of labview, e.g. MAX or some terminal program?

or try a really simple test program, that opens the connection to the device, reads/writes "hello world" (or somesuch), and the closes it.

<edit>

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/6807113B057FDE4C86256B41008212ED

suggests, that the connection is still open and so labview can not take control of the serial port

</edit>

If Tetris has taught me anything, it's errors pile up and accomplishments disappear.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 18
(3,068 Views)

The error that your link refers to is different from mine. I get "VISA:  (Hex 0xBFFF009E) VISA or a code library required by VISA could not be located or loaded.  This is usually due to a required driver not being installed on the system."

In the meantime I reconnected the second device and it gave exactly the same problem, even though I'm sure I installed the correct driver.

When I run the VIs in debug mode, it turns out that the error occurs immediately at VISA Open. If I use a disable structure for that part, the error starts at the next function, and so on (property node, VISA Clear, etc.), though I'm not sure if this could simply be caused by a lack of input. To me it seems like some kind of bug in the internal functions of LabView. Would it be a good idea to just reinstall it?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 18
(3,057 Views)

Open NI MAX, and make sure that the instruments that you want to communicate with are listed there.  I have noted that at times, NI MAX will drop the instruments.  Look at the interface (Serial, GPIB,...) and do a search for Instruments.  NI MAX should find them if they are attached and powered.  Now your vi should be able to run without issue.

Help the Community (and future reviewers) by marking posts as follows:
If it helped - KUDOS
If it answers the issue - SOLUTION
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 18
(3,053 Views)
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 18
(3,021 Views)

am i blind? .. i don't see any screenshots

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 18
(3,041 Views)

I can find the instrument in NI MAX. When I click Communicate with Instrument, I can send queries and commands that it responds to in the correct way. However, LabView keeps giving me the error.

RavensFan probably replied to the wrong thread...

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 18
(3,037 Views)

if you can communicate via MAX, then it is most surely no driver issue.

best bet is that you somehow have an open connection from somewhere and therefore the new try fails.

check where you open and close connections to the serial again.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 18
(3,033 Views)