From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error 1003 when dynamically calling VI within an executable

If you go to the labview help for the Open VI Reference it mentions using relative paths when accessing VIs that have been built into a standalone application.

Opening a VI Reference in a Stand-Alone Application:
If you want to dynamically open a VI on both the development computer and within a stand-alone application, use a relative path for vi path.

In the example you posted you're using an absolute path that leads to the vi that lives outside of the application. What you want to do is use a relative path that accesses the vi that lives inside of the application.

relative_path.png

Once I changed to the use of a relative path the application was able to run as expected.

Message 21 of 22
(1,947 Views)

Hi David,

Thank you very much for your reply.  Using the relative path was definitely the way to go.  I still had a bit of a struggle because there was sub VI for the call by reference methods and that itself was called several VI layers down.  The VIs I was calling were under a completely different path from the starting VI.  Once I got the proper sequence of path strips and builds everything worked fine.  One trick I used to help figure this out was to temporarily put one of the called VIs directly into the sub VI where I do the call by reference and have it show its path in an indicator. 

0 Kudos
Message 22 of 22
(1,922 Views)