LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enhanced Graphical User Interface

Let me know what you think about an application like this....

We currently have a test station that is capable of testing 2 of our production units at once.  With some upcoming updates, the number of test units per computer is going to go up dramatically.  Currently we are using tab control, with each tab representing controls for each unit thats being test.  (The display and control options take up so much space theres 2 tabs per unit currently).  So if you can visualize, 4 tabs currently to test and control just 2 units.  Within 2 months, we will double that and need 8 tabs.

So thats the situation, here's what I'm thinking...does it sound possible?

Have a picture of each test stand (2 units can run on each), and have the user be able to click the units that are currently connected, pictorally.  So, say a unit is connected to test stand 1, on side 1....then on the main interface, the user can click the picture that will pop up representing the new unit.  When they do this, a new screen will popup, or slide in covering the main control page with all the pictures, where the user can do all the testing and reading of all results.  Then when done, just go back to the main control, and click another one to do the same, while all the code that is testing the previous is currently running in the background.

Basically its just an aesthetic thing, currently, these units can run simulataneous through their 40 hour test cycles.  This will just ease the confusion, and make it look better for running more units.  Just for the workers out there, the less reading they have to do the better, clickable pictures are the way to go for these guys.

Thanks!
LV7.1, LV8.5, LV2014/15/16
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,401 Views)

Excellent idea!

Why didn't I think of that? Smiley Sad Well actually I did  Smiley Surprised and it has served me well in more than one application. Smiley Wink

See this thread

http://forums.ni.com/ni/board/message?board.id=BreakPoint&message.id=14&jump=true

where I have been stashing a way a bunch of LV picture control links to help people who ask the very question you asked.

I hope this helps,

Ben

PS: If you come up with something novel that uses the picture control, please post an example and I will include your thread in the above cited thread.

Message Edited by Ben on 10-04-2006 03:11 PM

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,385 Views)

Ben -

Thanks for the response, I took a quick peek at some of the posts you referenced.  Is it correct to say that the software your using is "LabVIEW Datalogging and Supervisory Control Module Version 1.1 for Windows 95/NT."  This is what I got from LV when I did a search for picture control.

Also something I saw that looks promising, "picture to pixmap."  Thats already included in my build of labview...is this used for the same purpose?  As I understand it, you have a picture going into it, and you choose the sectors of the pictures you want.  I'm not too sure on the details, the help for it is a bit confusing.

Thanks for the clarification!

Sorry for the confusion, there were so many links upon links on top of each other in there, after clicking 2 I was reading something off topic, about what a forum should be lol.

LV7.1, LV8.5, LV2014/15/16
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,375 Views)

I forget which version of LV included the Picture control as standard, maybe LV 6.1.

If you can open and run those examples, you have the add-ons required.

I suggest you down load Ed Dickens example and the example I posted to the Obfuse code" thread.

Have fun, nad please add to the collection if you find the opertunity.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,341 Views)