LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Energy Metering

I want to meaure energy by multiplying voltage,current and time..and then add them to the previous values so total energy can be calculated.If some one switches off his bulb then time should stop and after when he on his load then time again starts. 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(2,916 Views)

@zahidkhan528 wrote:

I want to meaure energy by multiplying voltage,current and time..and then add them to the previous values so total energy can be calculated.If some one switches off his bulb then time should stop and after when he on his load then time again starts. 

Ok, but do you have an actual question related to LabVIEW or NI hardware?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(2,871 Views)

Hi zahid,

So you described your task and goals - but what exactly is your problem?

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(2,870 Views)

I want logic for it.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(2,848 Views)

@zahidkhan528 wrote:

I want logic for it.

So you want someone to create a flow chart for your application? Code also? 🙂

You should do some things to get real help in this forum:

1. Instead of a way too vague description, you should specify your project in details.
  2. What kind of hardware you want to use?
  3. What kind of monitoring you want, an always running PC with Windows, or something which consumes less energy?
  4. Is this a student project, or you want something for your home? Are you aware that nowadays you can buy cheap electronics which will do this measurement for you (and even display it in your smart phone)?
  5. Start to learn LabVIEW programming. Pay special attention to State Machine designs, and how to create flow charts based on project specifications...
  6. When you have a problem with a certain VI, you can post it in this forum beside your questions.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(2,835 Views)

This is my final year project.I am getting current and voltage values through sensors.now i want to measure energy.For this i have to multiply current ,voltage and time.If current is one ampere and voltage is 220 and time is continuously increasing.when load off then time should stop.when again load on then time should again start.This condition I want.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(2,833 Views)

Hi zahidkhan,

The messages above are suggesting that so far, you haven't mentioned anything particularly like a LabVIEW problem.

It sounds like you already know what you want to do, so what's the problem so far?

LabVIEW has simple yellow nodes that carry out basic operations like multiplying. Look into shift registers for information about storing values and then adding to them. If the problem relates to making the actual measurement using the sensors, then tell us which sensors you'll be using, and what problems you're having. 

It's quite likely that LabVIEW ships with an example or two which can help you with making analogue measurements, especially if you're using NI hardware. Try searching in the NI example finder inside LabVIEW under the help menu. 

GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(2,829 Views)

@zahidkhan528 wrote:

This is my final year project.I am getting current and voltage values through sensors.now i want to measure energy.For this i have to multiply current ,voltage and time.If current is one ampere and voltage is 220 and time is continuously increasing.when load off then time should stop.when again load on then time should again start.This condition I want.

1. Please start all your sentences with big letters and leave a space after them. Otherwise it is very difficult to read your text.
  2. I understand what you want. This can be done with LabVIEW. You need a simple state machine which measures the values, calculates the power plus keep track of the used up energy (Watts multiplied by seconds gives you Joules). When the light bulb switch is OFF, you can use a "Select" function or a Case structure to keep the actual value. When the switch is ON again, your While loop should continue summing up the calculated energy per iteration. You could simply run your loop with a 1 Hz speed, so you actually even do not need to multiply the Power by time (1 second) to get the Energy.
  3. I do not want to make your school project for you. Show us (attach your VI) your code, what you have done so far, and explain what is not clear.
  4. I hope you went through LabVIEW basics, so you know what is a While loop, a shift register, etc? If not, start to learn:
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(2,826 Views)