LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Empty Controls & Functions Palettes

I am running Labview 13 SP1 on Windows 8.  When I open a new VI, the controls and functions palettes are completely empty.  I can load a VI that was created on a different computer into Labview on this computer and it will run fine, but I can't make modifications or add controls or functions.  Has anyone experienced this problem or does anybody have any suggestions?  

Thanks,

Aaron

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(3,139 Views)

do a repair of LabVIEW.  Reboot.

Then go make vi.lib read only so you don't accidently move things on disc again

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(3,108 Views)

Thanks for the reply.  I tried repairing LabVIEW and rebooted.  This didn't fix the problem.  Any other ideas?

Aaron

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(3,097 Views)

Well, something is messed up. Do you run any unusual antivirus or other security software?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(3,082 Views)

Thanks.  Yes, something is clearly messed up.  I am not running anything strange, just McAfee for antivirus/firewall.  I tried disabling the firewall and this did not fix the issue.  In comparing the location of vi.lib relative to an install on another computer (which works fine), the folder is in the same place.

This may be another clue, but when I do View>Quick Drop it causes LabVIEW to crash.

I have previously done a full reinstall in addition to the repair with no change in the problem.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Aaron

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(3,073 Views)

If you go to National Instruments/LabVIEW 20xx/menus, do you see anything there?

Tanner B.
Systems R&D Engineer - Aerospace, Defense, and Government
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(3,045 Views)

There is one folder "Categories", with one subfolder "Measurements".  Within measurements there are two subfolders "_DAQmx" and "sysconfig", along with 3 files.  I'm guessing there should be more here?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(3,039 Views)

Definitely. That's where the problem lies. If you completely uninstall and reinstall, does the problem persist? During that process, before the machine restarts after installing check to make sure that the folder is populated.

Tanner B.
Systems R&D Engineer - Aerospace, Defense, and Government
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(3,037 Views)

Thank you for the help.  This seems to have fixed the problem.  I had been told a full re-install had been tried before and didn't work, but it worked this time.

Thanks again!

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(2,997 Views)