From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Electrical measurement conventions, experiment set-up standards

Hello,

For the longest time I've been trying to find a single source of information about the proper way to set-up experiments with electrical signals being generated, measured and recorded. There are so many options when choosing equipment and components. Over time I've figured out what I need to know for my specific cases, but I always find it difficult to find the answer I'm looking for. We're so often concerning ourselves with signal integrity, so why is it so hard to find the right information? There's great peer-to-peer passing of knowledge, this forum for example, but that's not the best way to do it.

For instance: 

What type of wires should be used when measuring small/large fast/slow voltage signals? What size, material, braided or unbraided, coax, shielded, etc... how to know what to use and when?

How should the connections be (solder, alligator clips, clamps, etc) and what is preferred?

Grounding principles between instruments and the experimental set-up.

Oscilloscope fundamentals

Buffers, amplifiers, differential amplifiers, instrumental amplfiers

Input/Output impedance issues

The list goes on.

What are the common resources you guys use to help figure this stuff out? I feel like there should be a compendium of some sort.

Thanks for the help.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,386 Views)

Here's a good standby reference:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Art-Electronics-Paul-Horowitz/dp/0521370957/ref=pd_sim_sbs_b_2

For high-speed digital (which is really just analog):

http://www.amazon.com/High-Speed-Digital-Design-Handbook/dp/0133957241

Keithley app notes. Analog Devices app notes. Old Burr Brown manuals. Texas Instruments.

Message 2 of 6
(2,356 Views)

@JohnOxaal wrote:

For the longest time I've been trying to find a single source of information about the proper way to set-up experiments with electrical signals being generated, measured and recorded.

You can definitely start with Measurement Fundamentals Main Page.

This will guide you to different specific sub categories:

-> Analog Fundamentals

-> Digital Fundamentals

-> RF and Microwave Fundamentals

-> DAQ and Instrument Fundamentals

-> Sensor Fundamentals

Apart from above link, you may also want to have a look at:

1. Electrical Principles Series

2. Signal Generator Fundamentals

This will cover 'generation' and 'measurement' for you..!!

I am not allergic to Kudos, in fact I love Kudos.

Make your LabVIEW experience more CONVENIENT.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,350 Views)

I'm not sure what type of experiments you normally perform, but this reference may be of interest... http://www.amazon.com/Electromagnetic-Compatibility-Handbook-Kenneth-Kaiser/dp/0849320879/ref=sr_1_1...

It's a very large book (i think it was around 900 pages or so) on standards/practices in EMC measurements from in depth derivations to overviews.  For example skin deth derivations are included for various cable configurations and the results are summarized in a table.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,334 Views)

I think the "compendium" you're looking for is called... Education and Experience.  Smiley Wink

The things you're asking about change from application to application so there's no definitive source that provides all the answers.  It's a good thing really because if there was a source for all engineering answers no one would need engineers.  Smiley Sad

Having said that, the comment about app notes is right on.  There's a wealth of free info out there from companies who want to help you get your job done (and buy their ICs, 'cough').

LabVIEW Pro Dev & Measurement Studio Pro (VS Pro) 2019 - Unfortunately now moving back to C#, .NET, Python due to forced change to subscription model by NI. 8^{
Message 5 of 6
(2,326 Views)

Here's a good standby reference:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Art-Electronics-Paul-Horowitz/dp/0521370957/ref=pd_sim_sbs_b_2 

The Art of Electronics should be on every technician's bookshelf.Smiley Happy

PaulG.

LabVIEW versions 5.0 - 2020

“All programmers are optimists”
― Frederick P. Brooks Jr.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,322 Views)