LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Efficiency in analog data display in the front panel

I have noticed that displaying my data sampling in the front panel increases my loop period by 5-10 ms and I was hoping to come up with a better method.  I don't need my indicators to display every data point, but I do need to write each point to a file.  I am running the program on XP and sampling using a NI6036E DAQCard.  Are there any areas of my code in which I might be able to improve my efficiency?  Also, I'm a bit confused as to why I can only run loops as fast as 1 ms on Windows.  Is this a Windows clock issue?

Thanks for your help! 

Message Edited by PantsOnBackwards on 06-03-2010 12:39 PM
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,356 Views)

This KB discusses how to avoid this type of behavior.Smiley Surprised

Simply use the decimate array function to send only 5-15% (whatever seems rational for the size of the array) of the points to the FP indicator.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,348 Views)

You should always on a non realtime OS. Use the hardware timed DAQ. And never (ever) let Labview do the timing job. Also if you need a curve appear to be realtime. Think about the limitations of the human eye. If you update with a frequency around 15 to 20 Hz It will behave as it was real time. Go to help in the toolbar the select find examples do a search for acquisition and locate the "Cont Acq&Chart Samples-Int Clk.vi" as good start.

Your approach is a typical beginner error. But that is Ok we have all been beginners sometime 😉  

Besides which, my opinion is that Express VIs Carthage must be destroyed deleted
(Sorry no Labview "brag list" so far)
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,330 Views)