Edit command line parameters without restarting LabVIEW

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi all,

I am a new user of LabView and has similar question. I could not 

understand how the process of passing command line paramaters

as an array would act as workaround to avoid closing LabView

each time. Could anyone please explain me how this works or

provide me a reference of where I can find about it?

Thank you

Prabhakar

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 18
(1,017 Views)

They aren't talking about passing command line parameters to LabVIEW.  I don't know if LabVIEW itself has any useful command line parameters.

They are talking about passing command line parameters to an .exe they created in LabVIEW and the need to test it out.

Search LabVIEW help for "command line parameters".

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 18
(1,004 Views)

Thanks for the reply. I thought the discussion was mainly about command line arguments(CLAs)

in Labview.This is because, in the thread creating .exe is explained as one of the workarounds,

whereas using arrays and using global variables are few other ones. I also saw an example in LabView

which can read CLAs by property node. I am trying to understand the usage of arrays to pass parameters,

if it is one of the workaround as I thought.

Thank you

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 18
(982 Views)

Read the thread a little closer and the help on command line arguments. Since the arguments are passed to LabVIEW as an array, you can debug the processing of the arguments by simply using an array constant. It's just a simple debug technique where you do not have to build an exe and actually start it with command line arguments. If you want to test the ability to pass arguments to an exe, there is no workaround.

p.s. In my opinion, the use of arguements is sort of counter-intuitive. How many times do you start Excel, Word, etc. with arguments? How used to arguments are your users going to be?

Message 14 of 18
(972 Views)

That sums it up rather nicely, actually. 

@Dennis Knutson wrote:

p.s. In my opinion, the use of arguements is sort of counter-intuitive. How many times do you start Excel, Word, etc. with arguments? How used to arguments are your users going to be?

As the original poster, I can explain why I was using command line arguments.  They were for an entirely undocumented feature that we used internally for testing, and was not something that the users would use, let alone know about.  Passing a specific set of command line parameters enabled a hidden section of the panel.  This was extremely useful for seeing hidden values and other things that users wouldn't want or need to see, and allowed testers to have debugging information available without needing an entire development system.  It has also proven to be very useful in user support.

No, they're not something that most users are going to be familiar with, but they are certainly useful for many situations.

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 18
(962 Views)

Thank you for the response. I will try to debug to understand that.

Regarding using arguments, I agree with your opinion. May be I should explain my intention of using CLAs.

I am working on being able to control LabView with instructions given in text file. It will have commands like

Run, Stop and also input parameters. I dont know if LabView can directly read the text file and with some

processing understand the commands (Run and Stop) and act accordingly. Of course, it would be great

if it can be done in LabView. I am trying to use some other tool like Matlab which can read and process

the text file and pass the arguments in command line.

The overarching goal is that I should be able to change commands and inputs in this text file and LabView

should act accordingly. Please let me know if you have any suggestions for this.

Thank you

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 18
(961 Views)

prabhakar,

It might be better to ask that question in another thread.

Good luck!

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 18
(953 Views)

@prabhakar wrote:

. I dont know if LabView can directly read the text file and with some

processing understand the commands (Run and Stop) and act accordingly. Of course, it would be great

if it can be done in LabView.  

Of course it can.  Look at the functions under the File I/O palette.  It will be up to you to figure out how you want to read it and parse the information.

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 18
(940 Views)