From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dynamically calling multiple EXEs inside a cRIO 9014

Greetings fellow LabVIEW developers,

I was recently assigned a task to develop an application which could dynamically call multiple EXEs inside a cRIO target. The EXEs would be FTP'd into the cRIO along with this "startup" application. The application, then, would dynamically start multiple programs inside the cRIO.

When I built this application, I was under the INCORRECT assumption that we could directly call the top level VI of an executable using VI server. I have searched all over the literature, but the solutions that have been proposed (packed libraries and source distributions) are not possible for this project's requirements.  

Does anybody know what the new procedure to this in LabVIEW is as of LabVIEW 2011?

**The application MUST be written in LV2011. 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,372 Views)

As far as I understand you don't want to setup a separate controller application running on a PC to control the RT.

If the current RT application has a function to modify the startup application setting in the ni-rt.ini file you could simply reset the RT to start the next application. But a reset is needed to switch to the next (startup) executable.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,341 Views)

There are two possible ways. Either you create a single rtexe which then calls the different toplevel VIs or you handle it the way christian_w descriped it. You create different rtexe's which all have a kind of cleanup state where they modify the ni-rt.ini to load another rtexe as startup application. There you have to restart the cRIO.

Christian

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,338 Views)

I need these multiple programs to run in parallel while retaining modularity. I can't stop one to start the other.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,312 Views)

@DrAlexMV wrote:

I need these multiple programs to run in parallel while retaining modularity. I can't stop one to start the other.

Then you will have a single rtexe.

Christian

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,299 Views)