LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dynamic charts/multiple charts

I have an application where I need to slectively choose data sources for one or more charts.  From other messages it looks like charts cannot be placed into an array.  Is there a way to create a vi front panel where an aribitrary number of charts can be dynamically added and removed as the user selects variable names (From a long list of potential data sources)?

• Each chart would need to have its own set of scales
  • Time base should be common
  • Each chart would need to have 1 or more plots

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,895 Views)
No, you can't really do that, but this could be one of those cases where all you need is for it to look like you are scrolling an array of charts.

OK, follow my thought process here... Screens aren't infinitely large, so there is a max number of charts you can realistically get on the screen. Let's say that numbers is 4.

You could put four charts on the screen with a scroll bar control next to them so visually it looks like a scrolling array.

Then you could manipulate the data behind the scenes to make it look like sliding the scrollbar up and down is scrolling through an array.

This is just the bare bones (almost) of an idea, but it could look very cool. I did something once where it looked like I was scrolling through an array with different datatypes in each element.

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,876 Views)

You can also extend Mike's suggestion to subpanels, which gives you a lot more freedom. You can see an example of this here - http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/Independent-cursors-on-array-of-cluster-of-graphs-or-work-around/m-p...

Note that the code there was just a quick example to show the concept, not something designed for actual use.

Hmm.. You have me thinking there.  I have roughly 120 potential charts to display (Actually, sources of data).  These come from a few different places:

• Analog inputs
  • Derived values (EX: Take an analog input, pass it through a calibration polynomial and get out a calibrated version... Think, voltage in --> Force out)
  • Derived values (EX: Take the pressure from the previous calculation then adjust it.  Think, Force in --> Force adjusted for a certain alternate application point/Torque conversion)
  • Published PC variables (Coming from a real-time simulation)

The desire is to allow the user to select which values to monitor in real-time.  They probably would only watch 2-4 of these simultaneously for charting, but could watch all of them parametrically (Just values).

Message 4 of 5
(2,808 Views)
Oh, I like it!

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,794 Views)