LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dynamic Terminals only for a VI that is in a class, but the VI already is

Solved!
Go to solution

Has anyone else had this problem?  I have a class VI that has a broken arrow because: "Only VIs owned by a LabVIEW class may use dynamic terminals in the connector pane."  But this VI is, in fact, a member of a class (see screen shot below).

This happened shortly after I removed a method VI from the class.  Before I did that, there were no broken arrows for any of these methods.

Dynamic dispatch error.JPG

-------------------
Greg
Certifed LabVIEW Developer
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,668 Views)

Greg,

What version of LabVIEW are you using? Also, have you tried removing and adding the VI back into the class? I have included some links below that might help, however you may have already seen them.

See "Creating a Member VI from the Dynamic Dispatch Template":

http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/371361K-01/lvhowto/creating_mem_vis/

Adding Items to a LabVIEW Class:

http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/371361K-01/lvhowto/adding_items_class/

Robert B
RF Product Support Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,628 Views)

Why did you remove method VIs from the class?

TailOfGon
Certified LabVIEW Architect 2013
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,619 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author RGreg

Robert & TailOfGon, thanks for the replies.  I'm using LV2013.  I removed the method from the parent class because that method's functionality was superseded by a different VI I had in mind.  It worked, but not the way I wanted.  Trying to be efficient, I removed that VI from the library so it didn['t clutter things up.

My best guess is that somehow the parent class became corrupted.  I fixed it, but it took a couple hours of work this morning:

1. I closed everything down, exited  LV, restarted it.  I still had broken arrows.  
  2. So I removed all the parent class methods that use dynamic dispatching, taking care to first copy their functionality onto a temporary VI.  
  3. I renamed all the child class VIs and removed any references to parent methods.  No broken arrows.  
  4. I saved everything, closed it down, and opened it back up.  Still no broken arrows.
  5. At this point I had to re-create all those parent method VIs that I override in the child classes.  This is where my actions from #2 came in handy, since I was able to just copy and paste all that code back into the parent class method VIs.
  6. Going back to those child class VIs in #3, I renamed the VIs back to their duplicate names so that they overrode the parent method VIs.  
  7. Still working with the VIs in #6, I added back in any "Call Parent Method" VIs that I had to use.

The end result of this morning's effort was that, without changing a single piece of code, I'm back to everything running fine.  As I said, my only guess is something, somehow, became corrupted.  But just removing a subVI from a class shouldn't have caused this headache in the first place....

-------------------
Greg
Certifed LabVIEW Developer
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,611 Views)

No need of 2 hours, of work:

Just remove the particular VI/VI's from the class that you have assigned and rejoin that again into the class this should solve the need.

Regards,

Priya 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,714 Views)

Glad you got it fixed at least.

LabVIEW has a nasty habit of not saving changes to class definitions when closing the software.  It may prompt to save many files in the exit dialog, but often enough, the class defintions (including class member lists) is not part of that.

This can lead to a disconnect between VIs thinking they are (or are not) part of a class and the class thinking the opposite.

As mentioned elsewhere, just removing the VI from the class and re-adding it most often solves the problem.

BTW: I'm not sure but I think even using "Save All" doesn't neccessarily save certain changes to class definitions (member lists etc).

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,706 Views)